Thread: Walking in the Rainforest

Real Name
    Shane

Walking in the Rainforest

Taken on a walk at our local Arboretum on a wet morning. I would like some C&C on the image as I suspect that the darned branch across his foot would be too hard to clone out. The good news is he isn't going anywhere and I can try again to get it right...

Below is the original uncropped/unedited version and a mono crop. Any suggestions for improvement would be greatly appreciated as would your thoughts on color vs. mono.

Unedited version:

Mono crop:

Real Name
    Noel

Re: Walking in the Rainforest

hi Shane. I prefer the colour version - assuming it is a wood carving, it is easier to tell that it is not some other sort of statue. The crop of the mono looks good on its own, but I think including the base of the plinth improves the composition. My opinion: I am OK with the branch. If you cloned it out someone would want the horizontal one removed as well. The figure is in the middle of a clump of bamboo, I expect branches. Nice work.
    - Noel

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The vertical branch bothers me in the second one but not the first one. If it bothers you, is it not possible to have someone temporarily hold it out of the way while you shoot? I disagree that removing that branch would also require removing the horizontal branch.

I agree that the first photo is nicer for both the use of color and composition. That's despite that I generally favor tight crops and monochromatic versions.

Real Name
    John

Hi Shane,
    I like the colour version the best too.
    As Mike has already said, could the branch not have been held out of the frame, when taking the shot? IMO I think it is possible to sucessfully clone it out in PP if you wanted to.
    Overal a nice shot.
    Well done.
    John