Thread: Who shoots with a 60d

Real Name
    Harvey

Who shoots with a 60d

Hey everyone I brought myself the 1100d a couple of years ago and have really enjoyed learning with it, as I am travelling I have an 18-250 sigma to cut down on carrying lenses and a 10-20 sigma. Ive been wanting to upgrade bodies and I have tortured myself by reading reviews and trying to make a decision. I was dead keen on the 6d for lowlight and dynamic range but after alot of thought, quite a bit of money (could be a trip) so 60d and 7d where my next thoughts, Im thinking I will go to a full frame camera eventually so I settled for the cheaper 60d which I think still looks like a good camera specs wise and would be a nice upgrade from what Im use to, and maybe start getting some nice EF lenses? So was justing wondering what people who use the 60d think of it, and also 7d just to make me doubt my decision!

Real Name
    Lex

Re: Who shoots with a 60d

I use a 60D as my main. Like you, my budget drove me to that choice, but I'm very pleased with it. The 60D is extremely flexible in a variety of situations, and in my opinion, it's the best value in Canon's line-up. In my opinion, its weak point is low-light photography. I prefer to stay below ISO400 whenever possible, but anything up to ISO2000 is (subjectively) manageable in post-processing. Burst speed is solid at 5.3fps, but the buffer can be a little slow (seven shots will fill the buffer, which then takes about six second to empty).

The 60D has two considerable, often-overlooked features I use pretty often. First, the on-camera flash can trigger off-camera remotes. I use it to control and fire two 580EX IIs on a regular basis. Using the same function on a camera without a pop-up flash adds the cost of another shoe flash (~$480 for a 580EX II). Additionally, the swivel screen is handy for extreme low-angle or hold-the-camera-over-your-head shots, but using it does slow down the autofocus (a quick guess with manual focus cures this problem nicely).

If you do get a 60D, DON'T get the Hahnel battery grip. Ergonomically, I like it, but it sometimes overrides the camera's main controls. When buying your camera, remember that lenses have a greater impact on image quality. My walkabout lens is a Canon 28-135mm F3.5/5.6 USM, which is a great lens for the money.

A frequently asked question, Harvey.

I was in the same position a year ago when my 40D stopped working.

After doing a bit of research I decided that the 60D just wasn't for me. In my opinion, it isn't as user friendly as the 40D and works more like a 600D. But coming from your current camera it won't be so bad.

I had decided to purchase an 'unused' 50D. But eventually found some good deals on a 7D and went for that instead.

A friend purchased a 60D and personally, I'm glad I bought the 7D.

But, it all depends on what you photograph and how you work. I like a large heavy camera but a lot of people find them too cumbersome.

The quick handy to use controls on the 40D, 50D and 7D really work for me when I want to keep making changes just by the flick of a finger.

However, most people don't work like that and are happy to just use one setting, or semi auto settings which self adjust.

The 60D works fine, and won't be too different from what you are used to shooting.

ps. I eventually got my 40D repaired and still use it as a second camera.

Real Name
    Harvey

Thanks for the input guys! The lowlight capabilities of the 60d was something that I had been thinking about but Im guessing it will be on a par with the 1100d (cant be worse?) the money I'll save can go towards some faster lenses, the 7d would be nice but with a mk2 being rumoured, I think i'll be happy with the 60d for a year or 2 and maybe look at upgrading again.

Real Name
    Peter

Harvey - I shoot with a 60D and also have some EF and L series lenses. Never had any dramas with the camera however don't have anything else to compare it to.

The burst rate is good and does everything I need it for such as kids sports however the 7D is obviously an improvement on that. Having said that I haven't had too many occasions where I have thought "gee I wish I had a few more fps"

The points above regarding the flash and swivel screen ring true. Although I don't really use the swivel screen a huge amount, the on board flash to trigger a 2nd flash is a big help.

Overall I find it to be a great balance between budget and quality.

Hope this helps

I use a 60D and am very happy with it. Here is a link that helped me when looking at the 60D. I have never had another digital DSLR to compare it to though. Hope you find this helpful in making your choice.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...60DIMAGING.HTM

Real Name
    Harvey

Thanks Carl thats a good link that I havent found before, I ordered the 60d today so will look forward to having a play when it arrives

Real Name
    Harvey

Cheers Peter I always grill myself with decisions like these and its good to hear from some happy users! Awaiting arrival

Real Name
    J stands for John

Just don't confuse the 60D with the D60 ... they are rather different beasties ...search dpreview.com to view the differences