Thread: LR4 frustration

Real Name
    Dave

LR4 frustration

Hi,

I've just moved a new image into one of teh sub-directories in my LR4 directory. Then I imported it into the LR catalogue. It seems to import OK but when I go back to the Library module it's not there! If I go back to Import, then LR4 says it can't import the image because it's already there. I tried closing and re-opening LR but that didn't help. Grrr.

What I am doing wrong?

Dave

Real Name
    Tim

Re: LR4 frustration

Dave
    Don't know what you're doing wrong, but I'd do a 'Find' in LR, searching on the filename, and then reassociate the library entry with the file location.
    People often advise not fiddling with the file locations manually because that always risks breaking the library links (database pointers?). I'd probably have used LR to import the new image into the appropriate (sub) directory in the first place.
    Cheers
    Tim

Real Name
    Praphul.T

I think u might have had the filter option enabled. in the library module , filter option will be present at the bottom right . make sure u keep it always as " Filters - OFF " .

Hope that helps.

I think Praphul may have the right idea. I seem to recall several occasions where I have been unable to find files I know are in a directory, only to find I had a filter enabled.

Real Name
    Dave

Nope, it's not the filter. I must have changed something terribly obvious.............. I'll look again. Thanks for help.

Real Name
    Dave

Aha. Light has been switched on. I recently decided to try converting some RAW's to DNG, so I had changed the import setting to "Copy as DNG" and not turned it back again. "Copy as DNG" requires setting a destination (not unreasonably!) whereas Add (to catalogue) does not move anything. The recent files weren't converted, because they weren't RAW's, and they went into a subfolder, but it could have been anywhere.

What an idiot

But at least it may serve as a warning!

Dave

Real Name
    Kevin

that's interesting Dave, thanks for sharing your thought process. I import all my new stuff with "Copy as DNG" and had no idea it had destination implications.