Thread: Sunset in the Mountains

Real Name
    Michelle

Sunset in the Mountains

I would like to know if any of these photos are any good. If so, why, if not why. I just don't know what to look out for when assessing my photographs.
    Thanks Michelle

Sunset in the Mountains

Sunset in the Mountains

Sunset in the Mountains

Sunset in the Mountains
    Last edited by michelleh; 8th January 2013 at 08:52 PM.

Re: Sunset in the Mountains

The main problem, Michelle, is that you have too much black at the bottom.

Crop a little tighter to reduce that and they will appear totally different.

Best viewed at full screen size.

Real Name
    Kevin

Hi, Michelle

these are a worthy subject indeed. I agree with Geoff that there is too much black. Keep repeating the mantra, "what doesn't add, detracts".

I particularly like the dual line of mountains in image 4, but the sky isnt as compelling as in #3, which unfortunately has a less impactful foreground. (There are ways to combine the best of both depending of your editing software and if one is so inclined .

As they stand, I think my preference would be for number 1, as the foreground silhouette in quite interesting and you've preserved good cloud detail. Let us know what editing program you are using.

Thanks for posting-it takes a little guts at first

Real Name
    Michelle

Thank you Geoff and Kevin. I have just noticed that image 1 and 2 were the identical image. I deleted image 2 and have uploaded a different photo. I am using ZoomBrowser that came with my Canon 600D. I thought that I would learn more by posting the photos as I took them, without any editing. This way I can really learn and thanks to your comments I am getting exactly what I am looking for.
    Last edited by michelleh; 8th January 2013 at 08:55 PM.

Real Name
    Joanne Van Praag

Hi Michelle,
    I am very much a beginner but I have learnt so much from this Forum, much more than looking in books etc. I have the frustration of not being able to capture what I see (from what mother nature gives us - our eyes) translated to what comes out of our cameras. I have just come back from spending Christmas in Slovenia and I had the most beautiful sunsets from my Room window which I took full advantage of. I am pleased with the result for me (although not everyone would agree on the quality but I am actually improving). Take all advice given as this is the best you will have and do not stop asking questions and seeking advice. I hope you like my version of a Mountain Sunset
    [IMG]Sunset in the Mountains Julian Alps - Sunset by laxmum1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by michelleh View Post
    I thought that I would learn more by posting the photos as I took them, without any editing.
    I think that is very good approach to learning, particularly in relation to composition and exposure skills. As you can read above, folks on here will always try to provide constructive help and advice.

But, don't forget, that editing/post processing is 'the other part' of being a successful photographer. So I hope you don't think that post processing is 'cheating'. It's a real skill. It can't turn a poor photograph into a great picture, but it can help you achieve the vision you had in your head when you fired the shutter.

Real Name
    Michelle

Hi Joanne,
    Thanks for your comments. Yes I do like your version of a mountain sunset. Particularly the lighting on the mountains in the background. I am also a sucker for anything with snow and ice. So that makes it a winner for me.

Hi Donald,
    Yes at first I felt that editing was cheating but since I have started fiddling with my photos I do see some benefits.
    I must admit though, that my initial efforts went way overboard. So I am now just wanting to learn what is the least amount of editing that I can do which will enhance the image without making it lose its naturalness. I really have not thought about having a vision in my head when I take a photograph. It has been more a case of trying different ISO's, apertures and speeds and then being surprised by what I have captured when I see the photos on my computer

Real Name
    Allan Short

Michelle: you state that you have not thought about having a vision, but focused on ISO's, apertures, ete., etc., it is from the learning of these that you develope your vision and style. I myself, use a tripod and use very long exposures, and love it when I see a scene that just begs for a long exposure that is in some ways my style when compared to others. So to develope you vision and style, learn your camera by getting out and shooting, shooting, shooting and more shooting. Then put them on your computer and work them until you, not me, are happy with what you see. Then after a time, look back at some of your earlier images to see where you are now to where you were in the begining you will now see a big difference.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Michelle

Thanks Allan,
    I can already see a big difference in the photographs that I have been taking since the beginning of last year. The first difference: an upgrade from my Cannon Powershot to the Cannon 600D in July. Then buying a zoom lens. Then actually learning how to focus. Ha Ha! That was a big step for me! Then learning a little bit about editing and now joining CIC. So much to learn. Thanks for your input. I am , since looking at other people's photographs here and voting on the competitions beginning to grasp what I like and don't like. I am not in any way artistic or creative so this is proving to challenge me and hopefully grow an artistic spark somewhere deep within into a little flame.
    Ciao
    Michelle