Thread: Girl in a swing

Real Name
    pinaki

Girl in a swing

I was taking pics of my daughter in a swing.Camera was in aperture priority mode and focus was set to autofocus with 3d tracking.After several out of focus shots i was able to take this one which is not striking either.I don't know why focus tracking was not working?Can someone give me the solutions.Girl in a swing

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Girl in a swing

Quote Originally Posted by pinakibaidya View Post
    ~ focus was set to autofocus with 3d tracking.After several out of focus shots i was able to take this one which is not striking either.I don't know why focus tracking was not working?Can someone give me the solutions.
    Hi Pinaki,

I think at that close range and relative speed, the lens may not be able to keep up with the commands from he 3D tracking AF.

You have a D5100, which means if you're using AF, it must be an AF-S lens (assuming made by Nikon and not one of the independents), if I'm right, it should be a relatively fast focusing lens, but there are limits.

However, I don't use that option on my D5000, so that gueswork is really all I can say.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: Girl in a swing

Hi, Pinaki

My camera also has an object tracking mode- i tried it a few times and was utterly unimpressed, and as it requires me to shoot in JPEG rather than RAW, I dont use it at all.

My best results when shooting "swing shots" is to wait for the child to reach the exact uppermost arc, where for an instant they are actually still. Do it both on the upswing and backswing, as they will be quite different pics, though on the upswing you've got to position yourself so their BIG FAT FEET dont get in the way (that's how I talk to them, and they think it's funny for some reason)

Hope this helps a little,,

Kevin