Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Basketball Game

Basketball Game

Hello Everyone.

These are some of the photos I have taken during a university basketball game. I was pretty much excited to try out my new lens. I mostly shoot nature and architecture, this is my first time shooting people especially sports
    Comments and critics please

Basketball Game

Basketball Game

Basketball Game

Basketball Game

Basketball Game

Basketball Game

Thanks

Re: Basketball Game

This sort of scene is very difficult unless you are able to use high speed flash, Diana.

Your shutter speed is slow for the fast action. The scenes with slower action are noticeable sharper.

Not a lot else to try though as you were already using a high Iso. The only alternative is a really 'fast' (and expensive) lens so you can shoot with a wider aperture; say F2.8.

You have captured the action nicely.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Diana,

Can I ask if you were shooting RAW?

... and what post processing siftware you might have?

I'd be tempted to try about half a stop less exposure, which you can use for gaining higher shutter speed.
    However, they also look a bit dark in the shadows and I wonder if that's a deliberate action on your part?

We see people here attempting shots like this type of shooting, or ice hockey - and it is undeniably a very tough job, but as Geoff says, you've caught it well.

I was pretty much excited to try out my new lens.
    Which lens did you get?

Welcome to the CiC forums from ...

Real Name
    Kevin

Diana,

I'm also quite interested in what lens you used, as many venues wont allow any long glass. When I saw the title of your thread, I assumed I'd be seeing high school or younger, but I see this is Division I.

Real Name
    Kelvin Espada

Years ago I used to shoot these teams for the Associated Press, so here are my suggestions!
    1. Shoot ISO 3200 - flash is not allowed at these games!
    2. Always make sure the action is moving towards you!
    3. The ideal lens (what I used) 300mm f2.8, a second body with a 200mm f2
    4. Sit on the floor, don't stand
    5. The best shots are usually when they are looking at the basket, since their heads are up and the shadows gone!

These lenses are expensive but you can rent them for the event. Overall you did a good job, just a matter of technique and equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    This sort of scene is very difficult unless you are able to use high speed flash, Diana.

Your shutter speed is slow for the fast action. The scenes with slower action are noticeable sharper.

Not a lot else to try though as you were already using a high Iso. The only alternative is a really 'fast' (and expensive) lens so you can shoot with a wider aperture; say F2.8.

You have captured the action nicely.
    Thanks Geoff The maximum aperture for my lens is F4.5, so F2.8 is out of my reach for now. Yeah shutter speed was kind of problematic

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Diana,

Can I ask if you were shooting RAW?

... and what post processing siftware you might have?

I'd be tempted to try about half a stop less exposure, which you can use for gaining higher shutter speed.
    However, they also look a bit dark in the shadows and I wonder if that's a deliberate action on your part?

We see people here attempting shots like this type of shooting, or ice hockey - and it is undeniably a very tough job, but as Geoff says, you've caught it well.

Which lens did you get?
    Yeah I shot them in RAW. The software that I use are GIMP and Lightroom 3.

Yeah the dark shadows were a deliberate action on my part, now I am having second thoughts

I used Nikon 55-300mm lens. Thanks for you comments

Quote Originally Posted by kespada51 View Post
    Years ago I used to shoot these teams for the Associated Press, so here are my suggestions!
    1. Shoot ISO 3200 - flash is not allowed at these games!
    2. Always make sure the action is moving towards you!
    3. The ideal lens (what I used) 300mm f2.8, a second body with a 200mm f2
    4. Sit on the floor, don't stand
    5. The best shots are usually when they are looking at the basket, since their heads are up and the shadows gone!

These lenses are expensive but you can rent them for the event. Overall you did a good job, just a matter of technique and equipment.
    Thanks for the tips, will keep it mind the next time I shoot.

Thanks Kevin . I used a Nikon 55-300mm lens. Yeah it's Division I, the season has just started ( or I think so )