Thread: Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 EF-S IS STM Lens

Real Name
    Vic Powell

Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 EF-S IS STM Lens

I am using a 24-105 mm Canon L USM LENS and I'm considering buying a 18-135 mm STM lens to get more wide angle capability. Will there be enough difference to warrant the expense? I thought about renting one for a week but if I can get some good advise I will put that money towards a purchase. Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 EF-S IS STM Lens

I'm not a Canon shooter, but always wonder why someone would want to essentially duplicate the focal range he or she already has. Your f/ 24 - 105 is a quality lens, and you are looking at spending a fair bit of money on a lesser lens, albeit with an extended range.

If you want to go cheap, the 18-55mm is quite inexpensive. If you want to get a really wide angle lens, there seem to be other options. I personally find 18mm is not wide enough on a crop frame camera. When you get into the wide angle range, a change in even a couple of mm of focal length makes quite a difference.

Real Name
    Jim

Agree...24-105 is a really nice lens.
    Maybe look at 15-85IS or a 17-40.

Real Name
    Richard

I like my 12-24mm Tokina f/4 lens. It runs in the area of $500 USD and used models can be found for around $400 or so. There is a Mark-I and a Mark-II 12-24mm lens and for Canon shooters, the main difference is a difference in coating of the Mark-II which is said to reduce flare. I have not had flare problems with my Mark-I but I always shoot with a hood and seldom shoot directly toward the sun or other point source lights.

For Nikon shooters, the Mark-II incorporates a built-in focus motor...

Real Name
    Vic Powell

Thanks for the input everyone. Much thanks. This is the response I needed. Thanks everyone again. From South Georgia I'm Vic Powell....later my friends