Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My first photo posted here

My first photo posted here

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Linda,

To give us some examples in a post, try this step by step;
    How do I post images here?
    The good thing about this is there is no need for any pre-existing web-hosting.

Thanks,
    Hello again,

I am going to try to post a photo - hope you like it - any comments are welcome as I am still learning.

Linda
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 18th October 2009 at 08:20 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: My first photo posted here

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the picture, which as you can see, I have moved to this forum for comment.

One thing we would like you to do is post reduced size images in future please. These big ones take a long time to download for many members, which will mean you get less feedback.

You can use Image > Resize (it may be called something else depending on your software) and you need to set the width to say 1000 pixels, or thereabouts.

If you need more help on this, just ask and say what software you are using.

Thanks,

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Linda,

If I use any terms you're not sure about, just ask.

Now to comment on the picture; I see from the EXIF data that it was shot with a Canon Rebel XTi at 1/100s at f5.6, iso400 and 250mm.

Misty atmospherics is quite a tricky subject, especially with such a long lens as you don't get the benefit of the non-misty foreground to give a decent black reference.

The far highlights are over-exposed unfortunately.
    It's also not very sharp, probably due to the relatively slow shutterspeed at that focal length, especially if taken handheld with a non-IS lens.

The composition is quite nice and I can see why you took the shot.
    You might want to try a crop losing about 5% off the right hand side and 10-15% off the bottom.

Sorry, I've got to dash now, I'm sure other's will chip in with ideas too and I'll have another look tonight.

Bye for now,

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Linda,

Hope you don't mind, but I've given your image one of my famous (read "notorious!") Photoshop 30-Second Makeovers (TM!).

Not sure what editing program you're using, but I'll mention a few points in "Photoshop Speak" and we can translate from there if need be

- The first thing that struck me about your lovely image was that there isn't much black in it - most of the tone values ("shades") are biased towards middle and high values - and that makes an image (what's termed) "Flat" (ie lacking contrast). Raising the black clipping point immediately makes the image more contrasty and better looking.

- It looks like you've shot this on a misty day. For some reason these kinds of scenes always look nice to us humans, but never seem to translate into something that looks as good in a photo, Basically, the mist lowers the contrast - and you'll find that the more work you put into post-processing that lowers the effect of the mist - increases the contrast - and makes the image look better.

I also did a few other things, but I'll leave that for another day

Also - I see that Dave mentioned that it's nice if you can down-sample your images before posting them inline here (something in the region of 800 to 1000 pixels wide is ideal). It's a bit of a duel-edge sword in that bigger images like your are nicer for me to play with, but they do make the page slow to load, whereas smaller images load faster, but aren't as nice to work with. The best philosophy is to shoot RAW - keep the originals - post down-sampled copies here - and if you want someone to have a go at processing an image for you then we can tell you ways to get the full-size original to them.

Great to have you with us too by the way!

Hope you enjoy this ...

PS: You can find a few other "30-Second makeovers" here if your interested!