Thread: if looks could kill

Real Name
    Paul

if looks could kill

this is my first attempt with natural window light and using a reflector.and i know already that i'll be trying this shot again as you can only see one eye clearly.i was using white A4 paper on the window to defuse the light and a white reflector.40d with 50mm prime. anyway c&c welcome

if looks could kill

Real Name
    Koos

Re: if looks could kill

Dear Paul,
    a nice try for the first time! Lightning is nice too! A few comments: with the eye you are right, may be a half step to the right and you are good. The depth of Field should be increased a bit., because the hair is sharp but the face is not, you might need to enlarge the iso to adapt. For the rest: nice picture.

Real Name
    Terry

Hi Paul!

Since you have noticed a DoF issue, and there has already been one comment regarding said, may I say that your lighting (which from what you said was the setup you were working with) looks nice to me?

I have to remind myself to watch reflections off of glasses. I don’t think you have anything too horrendous here by any stretch, but a little is reflection is trying to show itself. Plus, it is easy to lose either one eye or both behind the eyeglass frame. Which is what I think you are referring to with the “can only see one eye clearly” statement. Guess you have already figured that a slight turn of her head to her right would help that? I also wonder if you might consider a crop option suggestion?

An example of a 5:4 crop (with no other changes) with her right (camera left) eye on the upper left third intersection. Eyes in a good position with some “looking room” as well?

if looks could kill

Well, just a Theory! The lighting is still very nice, Paul!

Real Name
    Paul

thanks for the feed back terry i prefer your crop to mine

Real Name
    Ian

Possibly a shot without the glasses would assist in getting the other eye in view more?

Real Name
    Paul

another attempt with the same setup.again the eyes are a bit soft i think
    c&c welcome

if looks could kill