Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon Bells and Whistles

Real Name
    Richard

Canon Bells and Whistles

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resou...=&CID=1-92ND0H

Canon doesn't often remark on the User Selected Modes; probably because they have reduced the 3 User Selected Modes of the 40D to 2 on the 50D and to a single mode on the 60D. I am happy that they returned to a 3-mode system on the 7D. But, I don't know why they reduced the number of modes in the 50D and 60D. I would expect that cost reduction might be a reason...

Anyway the Canon Digital Learning Center produced this helpful article about the User Selected Modes, My Menu and the Quick Control Screen! I use and like all of these neat bells and whistles!

Real Name
    Terry

Re: Canon Bells and Whistles

Hi Richard!

I was hoping to have a read of your suggested material, but the link you posted pops up reading "page not found"!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Try this Terry,
    I think it is what Richard intended (seems to cover same things he mentions)

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resou...hortcuts.shtml

It isn't obvious, but there are 2 pages and the second covers the User modes.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Dave

And one thing that really does frustrate me on my 600D is the lack of any custom/user modes

Real Name
    Terry

Thank you Dave. Got it.

I have custom user modes set up as well as some custom button functions. One button function I find particularly useful is the AI Servo/Single Shot custom button setup. Push of a button takes me either from AI Servo to Single Shot and/or vice verse. And I like back button focus. Just feels better and has some advantages for me. I don't always use it, but I also like to have the option to manually choose a focus point. So I keep that option enabled.

With the exception of a studio environment, I find that I have to do settings changes in a particular custom mode according to the particular shooting scenario. I have enabled the Automatic Update of the custom modes because when the camera goes to sleep it reverts back to the original registered settings. Unless you catch it, it is heartache and misery! I could set the camera to not go to sleep in these modes as a custom function, but I'd rather reduce the battery drain.

Any guess as to how I found that out?

(Hint: The hard way!)
    Last edited by Loose Canon; 30th December 2012 at 11:10 PM.

Real Name
    Zen

IMO, this is one of the better features of of these cameras. I had C1 on my 5D2, and now on my 5D3, set to an "Ansel Adams effect" in b&w - so when I stumble on a scene that clearly needs that treatment, I can get to it with the twist of the dial. I have it set at f 8, 100th sec., ISO 100, heightened contrast and the electronic red filter. C2 is the same but in sepia and without the red filter. So even if I end up changing any of the individual settings, C1 gets me to the ballpark quickly and easily. It's a great feature!

Real Name
    Bobo

Zen, that is very interesting. I don't see any red filter option on the 5D3 or maybe not looking in the right place. Can you please direct?

Real Name
    Richard

I will have my C1-C3 modes (on either my 7D or my 40D) set up basically for the ways that I expect to shoot during any one outing.

It is easier for me to set the expected parameters at which I plan to shoot before I am actually involved with the shooting. Using the Quick Control Screen, I can always modify these parameters on the fly if needed.

As an example, in general walk around shooting, I always shoot in RAW and I will most often have my camera set at single shot, Av exposure, single shot focus, ISO 160, etc. I will set the C1 mode for fast moving subjects with the camera in burst drive mode, Av exposure, AI Focus with AF point expansion and with a higher ISO to provide a faster shutter speed., I have C2 set up for HDR shooting and have the C3 mode set up for shooting panos. Since I always use manual exposure for shooting panos, the C3 parameters are suitable for other shots...

These are the four types of shooting which I might be wanting to do on a general walk around shooting day. The pre-registered parameters allow me to adjust my shooting parameters, from my still subjects parameters. prior to my shoot. I don't have to mess with switching several parameters on the fly, although this is made easier with the quick control button.

The most important set of User Selected Mode parameters for my general shooting would be the C1 for action shots. If I am shooting still subjects and all of a sudden an interesting moving subject appears, I can switch to the moving subject parameters quickly and can be assured that I have not forgotton or mis-selected any parameter. I often don't have much time to set up for a moving subject...

I have always loved the top LCD screen of my xxD and 7D cameras and have used it for monitoring and changing my shooting parameters. However, as I am growing older, I find that the small size information on the top LCD monitor is becoming ,more and more difficult to read. That is where the Quick Control screen really comes in handy for me. It is far easier for me to make my parameter changes from the Quick Control Screen than from the top LCD because I can see the parameters more easily. I wish my 40D also had this screen.

I have not set up the My Menu because, normally, with the advantage of the three User Selected Modes, I seldom have to revert to the Menu for any changes while I am shooting. When I select Menus, the last screen I have used pops up and that is usually where the "Format" command is selected from.

The 7D and other Canon cameras have some wonderful control systems which makes shooting easier and more fun. I am sure that Nikon and oother cameras also have some features which their users love.

OTOH, my old 40D is still providing excellent imagery. I probably will evenntually replace the 40D with a second 7D (I always shoot with a pair of cameras) when the replacement for the 7D arrives on the scene because I love the User Selected Modes and the Quick Screen Menu of the 7D. The 7D has been around for a long time and, I am anticipating, when its replacement arrives, there will be a plethora of used 7D cameras on the market and the prices hopefully will be considerably reduced. And, who knows, the 8D (or whatever the heck Canon will call the replacement) might have some additional bells and whistles which I cannot live without!
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 31st December 2012 at 03:54 PM.

Real Name
    Zen

HI bobo, sure . . . Start at Camera 3; go to Pict style, monochrome, info button, filter effect. They give you four effects: yellow, orange, red and green.

It's easy. Good luck and have fun.

Zen

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Zen, will do it right now.