Thread: macro and physics

Real Name
    Ray

macro and physics

I first noticed this effect 50 years ago. place an aluminum plate on stove,water drops will bounce a while before boilling off. I repeated the exercise recently using a canon 100mm macro and then found out the physics at this site http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture11418.html
    makes an interesting "what is it" photo.macro and physics

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: macro and physics

An interesting effect Ray - first time I think I have seen it photographed.

Real Name
    Ted

Brilliant . . .

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Both fascinating and beautiful. I sure would appreciate it if you would post a larger image.

Real Name
    Miltos

You managed to photograph the Leidenfrost effect?

Wow... congratulation for your idea and execution.

BTW the link you provide is way too technical and specialized. Here is the wikipedia article.

Real Name
    Steaphany

The Nature abstract was fine by me, but then the added info regarding suppression of vapor film collapse by textured superhydrophobic surfaces may be a bit of information that I could apply to a personal research project.

Thanks.

A suggestion for future photo competitions, propose each competition in the series to photograph a specific scientific, physics, or natural occurring phenomena. Each submission needs to document the event or phenomena in an artistic or aesthetically pleasing way.
    Last edited by Steaphany; 29th December 2012 at 07:16 PM.

There was an article years and years ago in an issue of Scientific American about the formation of "negative bubbles" where the surface tension of the water supports water droplets on the surface of a standing pool of water; no high temperatures or films of water vapor are needed. I've seen the effect myself, with water dripping into stainless steel sinks where the droplets skitter about instead of collapsing into the wet layer of water on the sink's surface; but have never photographed it (although I certainly thought about it).

Real Name
    Ray

There are interesting things happening around us every day. Professor Julius Sumner Miller asked "Why is it so" to which I can add "And can I photograph it"... Another photo from the series. cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

The most amazing example of the Leidenfrost effect is dipping wet hands into 300 degree C molten lead.
    Negative bubbles are cool too, you can get them on cups of white tea easily.