Thread: A second go with new filter kit

Real Name
    Paul

A second go with new filter kit

On my way home from work I noticed a few breaks in the sky over the water. It had been raining all day and I was soaked.
    Just couldn't turn in the drive, just kept going right to the beach, wet and cold but eager to get some experience with my new filter kit. Here are 3 images, two with 10 stop + 3 stop soft gradient and one with only the 3 stop grad.

First is gradient only and the only couple seconds the color came out to play slightly.

Real Name
    Jack R Mann

Re: A second go with new filter kit

Looks like your getting the hang of them paul. the long exposure in #3 gives the water that nice soft glassy look. The texture in #1 does it for me overall the best in my opinion.

Real Name
    Steve

Looks like you're going to have some fun with those filters, paul. Like the first one best, but only because the sky is prettiest in that one.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Nice set Paul, # one for me too. The composition of all shots with the old posts works well I think.

Dave

Real Name
    Allan Short

Paul: nice set of images, love the sky of the first image and the water of the third. The second images looks like you change something as the piers are not the same. I tried something I took the sky of the first one and place the third image over top on it and masked out the sky of the third so the water showed through and for me I got the best of both worlds. I also adjusted the hue of the water to be a little warmer to pick up some of that beautiful colour in the sky. You got there just at the time you needed to be there.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks everyone, I am having some fun working with them and getting them figured out fairly well. The change between them is due to the fact that the tide was going out quickly and I kept having to move forward to be near the waters edge.

The first image was about 1 1/2 sec, the second was 4 min 15 sec and I completely guessed on the last one as it was getting darker....rather than meter again I guessed at 6 min. Not a bad guess.

All in all I am quite pleased with the filters and look forward to improving my results. Finding good scenes I think will be the roughest part until I have time to make a little trip or two.

Real Name
    Griddi

I like them all of course, but the first one is my favorite, veeeery niiiice......

Griddi.....

Real Name
    Joe

Like them all. Hard to pick a favorite.

Real Name
    Andrew

The first image was about 1 1/2 sec, the second was 4 min 15 sec and I completely guessed on the last one as it was getting darker....rather than meter again I guessed at 6 min.

Hi I like the images with the first the best for me. Question how did you meter for four minutes fifteen seconds ?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    All in all I am quite pleased with the filters
    I'm sure they feel the same about you putting them to such good use.

Real Name
    Bobo

Excellent work. Actually, beautiful work.

Can you list the filters and components that you got so that I can email my usual supplier and not mess up the specs? Thanks. I am debating whether to add a FLW filter in the mix.

Real Name
    Steve

#1 is brill.

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks everyone.
    Andrew when I took my reading I got a need for 1/3 sec useing F16, I used a 10 stop filter so the calculation 10 stops mor than 1/3 is 4 minutes. The sun is going down but slowly so I figured a slight bit of extra would be needed. Hence the extra 15 sec. I also used a 3 stop soft grad to control the sky but the use of this does not change the calculation.

Bobo, I used the lee system, Big stopper, .9 soft gradient, the filter holder and the adapter ring for a wide angle. The adapter ring is specific to the size of thread on your lens.....same as if it were a screw on filter.
    Some people prefer a hard Grad, I went with soft because I figured the transition would be smoother for uneaven horizons. A little more tricky to set up as you can't see the transition line but no need to smooth out the line in post.

Note: this system does not change per brand of DSLR except for the Nikon lense with built in hood pedals. This requires a different holder and some really huge filters and is consequently more costly. Also with that there is no Big Stopper offered.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks for the info.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Very nice, Paul!

How weird is that - exactly the same setup from Santa, down to the wide angle 77mm adapter!

How are you getting on with WB?

Real Name
    Chris

#1 and #2 a very appealing!

Real Name
    Paul

Phil, mine is a 72mm but pretty darn close. I think our Santas have good taste and might be sharing secrets. As for W/B so far I used auto but I am going to try cloudy as the only thing I need to do is warm it up. A cool blue cast is all I have face so far.

Thanks Chris

Real Name
    Yegor

fully agree with Steve S. Would be great to unite sky 1 with sea 3
    Number 1 more natural nevertheless

Real Name
    Paul

I agree, it makes for a nice image. I am just not one for composites. I prefer to capture what I can in camera. Nothing wrong with this but so far I replace no skies and remove no more than an out of place twig that I could not reach while I was composing and add nothing to my images. This may someday change but for now I want to further my skills in camera and not rely on what I can do in PP.