Splashy

The day after

The day after

Please comment

Real Name
    John

Re: The day after

Hi Mike,
    I like the overall composition of this shot, but it looks a little under-exposed on my screen. (But perhaps it just my screen, it will be interesting to see what others think)
    The branches on the left of the frame sort of distract me; not sure why.
    This is the sort of thing I was thinking of, not better just another option to consider.
    Thanks for sharing.

The day after
    Last edited by JPS; 27th December 2012 at 02:31 PM.

Somewhere between the two for me, I think.

Your version, Mike, is a little on the dark side in the shadows/midtones but I like that yellowish cast from low angle sunshine and the dark clouds.

John's edit may be strictly correct with regard to the white balance but the 'warmth' is lost now.

Possibly another case for careful selective editing with an adjustment layer and mask.

I'm not sure about that tree. I suspect there is just enough showing to allow for retention of it. Any less and I would definitely have removed it.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Based on the histogram, I think it's fair to say that the image is properly exposed. However, as Geoff implies, you can use a different curve to map the distribution of the tones. I also prefer something that is between the two versions while keeping the warm tones of the first one. Raising the right side of the tone curve a bit accomplishes that.

The tree works just fine for me to help add interest and to provide more of a three-dimensional look. I love the light on the canal and buildings with the dark clouds in the background.

Real Name
    Steve

Very dramatic light, mike. I like it. You may want to decrease the levels of the highlights a little bit, and selectively raise the levels of the water area , to give it more balance. (not so much as to kill the mood of the image)

Real Name
    Splashy

Thank you for your comments, I will raise the levels of the water a bit and lower a bit of highlights.

What you see on the picture is exact the colors of that moment. Houses and clouds, the shadows are pumped up a bit with LR.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by splashy View Post
    Thank you for your comments, I will raise the levels of the water a bit and lower a bit of highlights.

What you see on the picture is exact the colors of that moment. Houses and clouds, the shadows are pumped up a bit with LR.
    Hi Mike,
    I think this answers everything:
    "What you see on the picture is exact the colors of that moment. Houses and clouds, the shadows are pumped up a bit with LR."

You were there and if your picture reflects how it looked at the time, then you acheived your goal. Only tweak it if you really think it needs it, it's your picture and our comments and thoughts are only options to consider.
    Well done and thanks for sharing.
    Cheers
    John
    Last edited by JPS; 28th December 2012 at 01:10 AM.