Thread: Camera cleaning

Real Name
    glenn

Camera cleaning

Hi guys
    Can anyone recommend a good shop to send my camera to be cleaned, as i think it is ready.
    and also what kind of cost am i looking at.
    location Rotherham, south yorkshire.
    Regards
    Glenn

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Re: Camera cleaning

I see you have already gone to the dark side with the gift of a Nikon (welcome by the way, soon you will feel it's awesome power). Why not go all the way and decide to clean your own camera? There area number of good tutorials by the manufacturers of the gear (I use VisibleDust www.visibledust.com/videos.php ). You are taking on some responsibility for your actions but it is a handy skill. The basic stuff with the blower and electrostatic brush is pretty much non-damaging but even wet cleaning is only a matter of some basic dexterity and attention to detail.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

You didn't mention what kind of cleaning is to be done. Is it the camera's sensor that you were thinking about or something else?

To follow up on Trevor's thinking about cleaning your sensor yourself, a discussion that may put you more at ease can be reviewed here

Real Name
    glenn

Thanks trevor and mike I will take a look at what is involved in doing it myself, thanks again.

Real Name
    Nigel Holmes

Hi Glenn, it's far easier than people or manufacturers make it out to be. Just make sure the battery is fully charged and that you don't touch any buttons while the mirror is up while you have a swab on the sensor and you will be fine. It takes a fair bit of effort to damage a sensor, I've cleaned all my cameras over the last eight or so years and never had any problems.

All the best for 2013!

Real Name
    James

OMG Trevor
    Next thing you will be suggesting is that Glenn get rid of his Mac and go PC - Now thats going all the way to the dark side (BTW Glenn my Mac comment was just a guess - was I right??)

Real Name
    glenn

Quote Originally Posted by DeepWater View Post
    OMG Trevor
    Next thing you will be suggesting is that Glenn get rid of his Mac and go PC - Now thats going all the way to the dark side (BTW Glenn my Mac comment was just a guess - was I right??)

Sorry james i'm a pc guy ( uk ) we are a bit funny like that.

Real Name
    glenn

Nigel, Thanks for the advice.
    I guess I just need to pluck up he courage and go for it.

Glenn, for any serious camera repairs etc I use Colchester Cameras. But any pro camera company won't be cheap.

If it is just a dirty sensor you can do it yourself, as previously mentioned. And there are a number of products available.

A brush might suffice but if there are any larger stubborn areas you will need to wipe with a swab.

In reality, it is quite easy. Remember, all you are actually cleaning is a piece of glass; albeit a high quality item.

With my 10D I had to do this regularly. Less often with the 40D and so far my 7D hasn't needed attention.

Real Name
    James

Hey Glenn
    Was just a guess, but I have noticed that with my local friends most of the guys and gals who shoot Cannon also use Mac's - not making anything of it, just an observation. Hope you know that my comments are totally in jest! Have a great day - and BTW - the biggest thing about sensor cleaning is investing in the equipment to do it - however it will pay for itself quickly if you factor in how much you would pay for a "pro" to do the work