Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fuji FinePix S1500, Filters

Fuji FinePix S1500, Filters

I've looked this forum and search the web through. I am hoping that someone can help me out. I recently purchased the subject camera. I was under the impression that i could use filters before purchasing but after it arrived i was surprised to find out that i was wrong. There are NO threads on the lens and it is a retractable lens as well.
    What I am curious about is this. When I measure the lens it is about 46.03mm. I've tried to contact Fuji but they are of absolutely no help. Can i "make" one to fit or does anyone have any suggestions? The lens cap is a standard cap with it lined with a small piece of felt. I figured i could do the same with a filter. I just hate to purchase a filter to find out that it would not work. Any Ideas?

Thanks everyone!

Re: Fuji FinePix S1500, Filters

Hi,

I am having exactly the same problem. I have been told to get a filter by my tutor to protect the lens but can not find one. Did you get an answer to your question?

Yes, the response I have received so far is that there is NO filter that can be purchased and screwed on as a normal SLR camera.
    HOWEVER: If you have a local camera shop, stop in and take your camera with you. I have yet been able to do so. My thinking is that one could possibly purchases a threaded filter and add a small piece (ring) of felt to the threads on the filter/s. In other words, creating the lens cap but with a filter.
    I have tried to do my part in notifying businesses that say certain filters WILL fit this camera. Of course the filters do not fit and once contacted they realize that as well.
    I hope that helps you out. Good luck with your research. Once I can get into my local shop I will try to post what filter was purchased and what I had to do to make it work.

You will need an adapter ring for filters, Cokin's Shoe Digital Filter Holder "A300" will work.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_Holder.html

There are some issues i see with this filter holder (no information on the distance from lens-[zoom]).
    1. Once installed, a tripod can not be used.
    2. No true protection for the lens.

To be honest, I don't think it's a good investment into looking for filters for bridge cameras. You may end up spending more money trying to make it work. Going with a second hand entry level dslr setup and getting the more readily available filters makes more sense.

Question is "Is it actually worth the while to continue with what you have now?"

of course everyone's situations is different. I however would have to say yes, it is worth it. We purchased this camera for our 13 year old daughter. We really didn't feel to comfortable giving her a $500+ camera. Especially when we ourselves don't even have one. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by vdrumsroland View Post
    of course everyone's situations is different. I however would have to say yes, it is worth it. We purchased this camera for our 13 year old daughter. We really didn't feel to comfortable giving her a $500+ camera. Especially when we ourselves don't even have one. LOL
    That's wonderful that you got your daughter her first camera. I think all kids should learn about photography. My father was the one who gave me my first film rangefinder slr with a 50 mm prime. I started when I was actually 9 years old and decades later, I still am just as passion about it.

Your daughter's camera is fine without a protective lens cover so don't bother looking for one. Just get her a lens microfiber cloth and bulb blower to keep the front element clean. Here is what I recommend for you and her in regards to filters; go to any vintage or used camera show in your area (if you can find one). These shows will often carry huge second hand selection of "pane" filters for literally dollars, instead of the hundreds. Just have her setup her camera on a tripod, hand hold the pane filter in front of lens, and use the self timer. Viola!

The Cokin G350 may fit (it will fit onto your tripod screw, but you might need to check the lens to filter max distance) Here http://www.cokin.co.uk/pages/filterfast.htm

If we are talking ND grads etc, as opposed to UV and polarizing, then just holding the filter over the lens works just as well, but you need to be using a tripod to have both hands free. Here is an example of how to do it.

i brought this camera and was aware that you could not attach filters after some searching i found this device which seems to slip over the lens and provide a filter/lens thread. i have yet to recieve this device as it is in postage but i will post on here when i find out how good it is.

link. http://www.amazon.co.uk/JJC-Adapter-...7143104&sr=1-1

Real Name
    Mike Hallock

This type of filter is also available on eBay for around $20.00, but it is from Hong Kong. Haven't tried it, but it looks feasible. Actually, I was looking for a Sunshade for my S1800, and found this.
    Last edited by Mike Hall; 28th August 2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: More information