Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cold bench and warm trees. C&C please

Real Name
    Matthew

Cold bench and warm trees. C&C please

Some of you may recognize this photo as my entry in the November monthly contest. I'm hoping to get some C&C.

Some people will no doubt question what the subject is of the photo, since it contains a bench, and some trees, etc. The subject of the photo is the scene itself, and the concept or look of the cold frosty foreground juxtaposed against the warmer background scene. In post processing I created 2 versions, one with a cooler, sharper look, and one with the warmer softer look. Then I did a mask in photoshop to blend it together down the middle horizontally. I added some selective sharpening around the bench and selective softening of the tree foliage.

Comments and advice appreciated.

Cold bench and warm trees. C&C please

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Cold bench and warm trees. C&C please

Matt, I do recognize the image. The color and frosty feel I like very much. Where the image goes wrong for me is the bench. While I like the inclusion of said bench, the placement and or the angle of bench throws me off.
    As it sets, it is up against the left edge of the frame that it looks out of. For it to be placed where it is it would need to be agled towards the center or right side. To keep this angle the placement would be better if it were far right looking into center or to the left.

Ofcourse that is just how I see it. If the bench were a person or animal...how would they be positioned?

Real Name
    Kevin

Hi, Matt

I like the image. I think the comments Paul made are quite valid, and the orientation of the bench renders it a bit too static and uninvolved in the image. But I very much appreciate the subject contrast and the technical skill required to make this image. I personally would also be inclined to add a slight vignette.

Real Name
    Matthew

Paul, Kevin, thank you for your help. I totally agree with both of you, and the bench angle/direction was something I was also not happy with, but wanted to see if others pointed it out. Unfortunately in this case the scene was that way and I didn't have a choice...if I moved somewhere else to change the bench position and direction, the trees and frost were no longer visible. I guess you can't win em all!

I did add a slight vignette but I guess I should have gone a little darker- I think the subtlety of the vignette is not translated well when a jpg is exported from LR and then uploaded.

Thanks again

I noticed the slight vignette and thought you got it just right, I don't think I would add any more. Also, I don't know maybe it's just me but I like the angle of the bench. I feel that it points my eye upwards towards the trees and gives it some direction. Well done.