Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A few mini gondolas

Real Name
    Yegor

A few mini gondolas

Tried to play with miniatures. Strange, but my PF does not give such strong result...Although I put values about 70%

A few mini gondolas

A few mini gondolas

A few mini gondolas

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: A few mini gondolas

Hi Yegor, I think the issue is in the sense of depth. Take the second image as an example. In the centre of the image, items in the distance are just as sharp as items in the foreground. Likewise, at the top, items in the foreground are just as soft as items in the distance.

For the miniature effect to work well you usually need a flat plane where all the items in the foreground are soft, all the items in the middleground are sharp, and all the items in the background are soft.

In the example below, we are looking down from the top of a building at a rail line. Because of the high angle and shallow DoF, it appears more as though we are looking down on a model train.

A few mini gondolas

Given the excellent scenery you have to work with, if you can get high on some of the buildings and shoot down I think you would get some excellent miniatures!

Skitalez, I actually prefer the way you've done it. There is a subtle sense that these pictures could be of miniature models when you look at them.
    When I see pictures like the one FrankMi posted I know that photoshop had to have been used to make the picture look like it's a minature set, but your picture leaves me wondering, and I love that. I also think you did a spectacular job processing the images.

Real Name
    Miltos

I agree with Peter above (BTW you can enter your real name in your profile).

Yegor I find your approach very creative and your results extremely pleasing, well done.

A suggestion I can offer is to make the blur transition smoother as the 3rd one looks artificial to me. In Frank's wonderful image the transition is undetectable.

Real Name
    Yegor

Thank you ! Actually, for the third photo I used the filter "Tiffen" to make the blur. In any case, there is not an effect of miniature. But some other))