Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Upper reaches of the river Fowey

Real Name
    Andrew

Upper reaches of the river Fowey

Upper reaches of the river Fowey

I took this picture at Golitha falls on a day when we had had a lot of rain and the peaty water was running off the moors.I had to hike for twenty minutes through the steep sided woods to get to the spot took three or four shots. I had seen that Donald had posted some water shots recently and i had tried to emulate the effect he had with layers at different shutter speeds. What do you think does it work? What else can i improve ?
    Thanks Andrew.

Real Name
    Dave

Re: Upper reaches of the river Fowey

What an extraordinary picture, Andrew. I can't comment technically, I'm sure others will, but it has a surreal quality that wouldn't look out of place in Lord of the Rings, or The Hobbit. I expect to see Orcs emerging from the bushes.

Real Name
    Wendy

Hi Andrew ditto what Dave said. I can see what you've done with the water and I like it. Looks like you've got the technique down for that, now it's just a matter of experimenting to see which parts to slow down and which to speed up. Looks like a good skill to possess.
    There's something about the composition though, and I hope others will comment. What would you think of cropping out the sky and perhaps a bit from the right. I'm thinking taking out the sky would give an even deeper woods feeling to the shot.

Wendy

Real Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    What an extraordinary picture, Andrew. I can't comment technically, I'm sure others will, but it has a surreal quality that wouldn't look out of place in Lord of the Rings, or The Hobbit. I expect to see Orcs emerging from the bushes.
    Thanks Dave, i had two exposures at both extremes of the shutter speed range and blended them together. I also did another that i will post up .

Real Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    What would you think of cropping out the sky and perhaps a bit from the right. I'm thinking taking out the sky would give an even deeper woods feeling to the shot.

Wendy
    Thanks Wendy i have had a few attempts at the suggested crop but i cannot seem to get it to balance. It seems to go very "round" if that makes sense. I did another shot that day with a similar effect that i will post.
    Thanks Andrew