Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: First Time Photographing a Toddler

Real Name
    Cliff McCartney

First Time Photographing a Toddler

Greetings,

Last week I had the opportunity to take some Christmas shots of the son a friend and co-worker of mine. It was my first time photographing a toddler, and it just flat wore me out. I was humbled by how hard it was - much harder than I expected.

Here's a link to a post I wrote about the shoot in my blog.

Here are a few of the shots. Here's the full gallery.

I'd appreciate any C&C.

Thanks for viewing!

Cliff
    Last edited by cliffmccartney; 16th December 2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Bad link to #5

Real Name
    James

Re: First Time Photographing a Toddler

Read your blog - I can see why you were tired but you got some great shots. I just shot an "Santa Claus") event for my company - 180 people and 60 some odd kids! 533 images later... Out of those 500 shots I chose 224 to process in RAW - out of those I had some 150 "keepers" - the occasional great shot created by the crop, and l lot of really good shots of the kids on Santa's lap. I, unlike you, forgot a few things (like a grey card!) and was not as ready as I should have been so my post processing was more intensive. Am uploading as we speak, but finally done. Whew...! You listed several lenses in your kit - which one did you wind up shooting with? Interested in knowing becasue I am looking at purchasing one of the two lenses you had - either the intermediate focus length Nikon or the 70 - 200. Which do you prefer? Thanks and nice shots!
    James

Real Name
    Ludwig Keck

Well, it may have been hard, but it certainly paid of. These are great photos. The first one I like best, the lighting works well, the composition is good, although I would crop the bottom a little to show less of the light sleeve. Keep it up!

Real Name
    Cliff McCartney

James,

I shot all these with the 24-70. If I had it to do over again, I would probably have used the 70-200 and moved away a bit. I find that I use the 70-200 for most of my shooting these days. It's a bit heavy to carry around, but it is wonderful for sports and it just rocks low light.

Here's a link to another blog post of a shoot I did of the Nutcracker on Ice here in Knoxville. I shot that whole event with the 70-200.

Thanks for the feedback, and good luck working through your Santa pictures!

Real Name
    Connie Keyes

If those pictures didn't bring tears to the mother's eyes I don't know what will. That child is an absolute angel (well in the pictures anyway). #3 might be my favorite but only for a moment when I look again and can't decide which is best. I do think these are the best of the batch after looking at all of them. After reading your blog I got some really good ideas about planning and thinking through what to do when planning on taking pictures. Remarkable child and pictures.

Hi Cliff, it is a challenge to take photographs of children. However, you can make it easier by involving the child in the process of taking photographs. Show the child the snap that you have taken and comment about what he could do to look better in the next photograph. This is sure to get his attention and will help you get the child’s co-operation during the photo session.