Thread: Doggy portraits

Real Name
    Trace

Doggy portraits

It was the local agility club's Christmas break-up and I got to take lots of doggy portraits. I ran out of light waaay too soon, but had an absolute ball till then
    These are my three (or four ) favourites... I welcome any and all feedback. And since I've recently discovered my glasses need replacing, don't hesitate to let me know if these are too sharp or vice versa .

Doggy portraits

Doggy portraits

Doggy portraits

Doggy portraits

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Doggy portraits

These are lovely images of some great looking dogs with wonderful expressions. However, on my monitor they seem a bit over exposed. This is especially true of the last image with both white dogs blown out. The images can be played with in post processing. I just realized that I haven't calibrated my monitor in quite a while so, I cannot be sure regarding the brightness...

I like the way you got down to the dogs eye level to shoot these. It provides a connection with the dogs. However, the cropping seems a TAD awkward to me... Either closer crops (providing head and shoulders views) or looser crops showing more of each dog might be more pleasing...

I played with cropping the image of the border collie, right below the lead clip (with side crops adjusted to balance out the image). I also toned down the brightness of the image, used the clone stamp to eliminate the distracting lead clip and increased the vibrance a bit. The result was a wonderful head shot of this beautiful dog.

On the other hand, cropping an image is a very personal thing. Show five different photographers the same image and they just might end up with five different, but equally as good, crops...

BTW: I often like to use fill flash wen shooting dogs...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 11th December 2012 at 03:23 PM.

Real Name
    Trace

Hi Richard,
    I just wanted to say Thank You for your comments and feedback, and to apologise for not replying and thanking you sooner. I posted these up a couple of nights before I moved house. It was bedlum for a week or so. And then it was Christmas. And then New Year. Then away for a week. And now I'm back at work and have finally got back to CinC and found it has already been over a month. I've read through your comments and while I haven't had a chance to re-edit the photos, I've taken on board your suggestions. I do like to push the brightness as far as I can. It is a style I like. None of the whites were blown, but looking at them now, the details were getting lost in the brightness and certainly should have been brought back a bit. I too need to recalibrate my monitor after my move... but damned if I can find my Spyder yet.
    Anyway... thank you for taking the time to consider, to play with and to give this feedback!

Real Name
    Peter

Lovely shots Trace, sharpness looks fine. I agree with Richard on the crop and the overexposure. The first three llok ok, but the last one is a bit overexposed. The crop is personal taste, but I noticed myself looking for the legs.

Real Name
    mark

Thanks Trace, nice shots.