Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Barcelona Air Race

Real Name
    David

Barcelona Air Race

Hi All - I was lucky enough to spend a few days in Barcelona and encountered, inter alia, an Air Race. With my trusty Canon 40D fitted with the Canon EF 24-105 mm lens, set at 105 mm, f4.5 and Tv 1/3000 sec, I managed to take, using the rapid capture facility, several shots over a few seconds of planes whizzing about. Here's a compilation shot.

Barcelona Air Race

Comments and crits are welcome as usual.

David

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Barcelona Air Race

Great shot(s) David,

I'd suggest two things to (in my view) improve the composition/picture;
    1) Stretch the canvas vertically by a few percent, say 30 pixels on the 667 height shown here, and clone in more sky - just to separate the top planes prop from the edge of frame
    2) Take about 5% (no more) off the left hand edge

Due to unfortunate combinations of angled coastline, islands, inflatables, etc., it looks like a small twist clockwise would help, but the buildings are straight, so I guess leave it alone.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Rob

Hi David
    I can't talk but I would have croped it a lot tighter. Tried and do away with most of the background.More a portrait. I would also have left the propeller on the lead plane if I could'nt do that I would have cropped it out and gone for the second, trying to leave a blue sky margin thats only how I would do it
    rob
    Do you live local to me?
    A meet?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

That reminds me of one I did a few years back (I was lucky enough to be able to do it with my tripod though) (Shot at 1 second intervals and stitched)

Barcelona Air Race
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 10th October 2009 at 08:58 PM.

Real Name
    David

Thanks for the comments guys. I had to crop the originals to a very large extent as I was so far from the real action. So that alone would make me hesitate to crop further. Regarding whether the horizon is correct, I had originally squared up the base image upon which all the others were composited. However, I was not satisfied with the result and added plane at the extreme RHS. This however gummed up all the previous background image. So, I got fed up at that stage and left it as it was. Anyway, thanks again and the next time I'm in Barcelona I shall definitely carry a tripod.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Steve

I think you should just lose the top plane and make it look like an AI; it has a very high potential.