Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Giraffic Fantasy

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Giraffic Fantasy

This is an image I just put together to add to my giraffe collection on my website. I "shot" the giraffes several months ago. When they clustered together in a mix of legs and necks I took a quick shot thinking I might be able to do something with it. The image sat on my hard drive for quite a while and today I got an idea. It's a fantasy image so don't try to make too much of it. I thought I'd just post it for "show and tell."

Chuck

Giraffic Fantasy

Re: Giraffic Fantasy

Looks great Chuck!

A few things I've noticed, if you don't mind some critique
    - The back Giraffe (center head) -- The neck looks like its in shadow with a backlight -- Dosn't seem to quite match the other two.
    - Reflections tend to blur the futher they are away from the source (so more blurry towards the very bottom)
    - The black points of the two images seem a little off (The darkest part of the background should match the darkest part of the giraffes -- easially fixed with levels -- look at the feet, they wouldn't be brighter than the muddy ground)
    - Try massively increasing the contrast of the sky to bring it up to par with the giraffes - it should help reinforce your fantasy theme, and help reduce the slight cookie-cutter look of the giraffes
    - Try an adjustment layer out on the legs to darken them up a bit (With a veritical gradient mask).. My eyes keep going there intead of to the giraffes head.

I think you did a great job though -- sorry for the unsoliticed critique

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Did you shoot them in "Giraffic Park"? (baaaad joke!)

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Thanks for the critique Kent. No problems. The back giraffe is as shot, i.e., I didn't add him they were all together and that's how the natural light fell. I know it doesn't quite match the background light but I may play with levels as you suggest. Thank you.

Colin............GO TO YOUR ROOM!

Chuck

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

The version posted above is revised using some of the suggestions offered by Kent. I don't think I went as far as Kent would like but I do think it is improved. I replaced the original image on my website so it's not available for comparison here.

Chuck
    Last edited by CNelson; 8th October 2009 at 04:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CNelson View Post
    The version posted above is revised using some of the suggestions offered by Kent. I don't think I went as far as Kent would like but I do think it is improved. I replaced the original image on my website so it's not available for comparison here.

Chuck
    Great improvement Chuck I love it