Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: An Afternoon at the Cemetary --C&C always

Real Name
    Gretchen

An Afternoon at the Cemetary --C&C always

I was lucky enough to have some time to play. Still with my Sony Point&Shoot.

1-This first is a contact sheet I made showing the various ways I tried to present the structure. I wanted the verdigris on the door to be actually green. IIRC, this is one of the oldest in the cemetery over 100 yrs. I think it is interesting that the building seems to tilt depending on the lighting.

2-I got a kick out of this person's name --because of the season, Scrooge is on my mind.

3-I took lots of shots of this faithful friend --He was in pretty bad shape, so I did a lot of work to get him a bit more presentable.

4-last but not least, I played on PSE to create this out of the doors of the structure in #1

AS ALWAYS, Thanks for viewing.

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: An Afternoon at the Cemetary --C&C always

Hi, Gretchen

I am a huge fan of cemetery shots and visit cemeteries as often as possible, looking for potential shots. I think you have done well here.

I have found that both tombstones and other cemetery structures as well, are extremely prone to perspective distortion unless I align myself in the very exact middle both vertically and horizontally. Sometimes the distortion works well, and sometimes I have to correct it.

One problem with point and shoot cameras is that although they have attained excellent image quality, they are lacking in DoF control. I like the picture of the dog very much, but would have preferred to seeing the background less in focus.

I love your Milne creation, and your pp of the Ebenezer stone image.

I believe there in this forum was a recent reference to possible legal liability (or at least hypersensitivity) for including headstones with the names clearly space visible. I didn't get a chance to read it myself but we both should probably do so, given our interest in this area. It seems an odd thing to be sensitive about, but that doesn't mean it isn't so . I look forward to your sharing of more of this genre.

Real Name
    Gretchen

Re: An Afternoon at the Cemetary --C&C always

Thanks Kevin. I was concerned about using the names as well on the headstones, but the name of this one was so unique, I just couldn't help myself. Plus the age of the grave--over 100 years. At some point there has to be a statue of limitations on legal sensitivity.

I had a hard time with the dog statue. The only good shot was head-on so one could see his expression and the gravestone and xmas wreath were in the way. There were also power lines and some sort of landscaping fencing as well. I managed to PP those out. But the edge of the wreath and all, I didn't want to PP anymore-it seems to me that too much PP degrades the image. The dog, himself, was in pretty bad shape.

I was getting a real Steampunk feeling in the old part of the cemetery, I think it added to my PP--especially in the Ebenezer image.

I really want to go back soon. The weather and time of year are such that it adds to the "feeling" of the pictures.

Thanks for your kind words.