Thread: Tears

Real Name
    Jason

Tears

Hey all,

Went out to do some street shooting today. I was walking around and kept seeing this guy walking in different parts of town. When I was walking in one of the more populated areas of town, he struck up a discussion with me about photography, then got rather enthusiastic about me taking his photo. So I took a few, gave him directions to where he was looking to go and we parted ways. It was a little nerve racking I wont lie. But it made my day as far as shooting goes.

Tears

Here it is with a bit more aggressive post prod

Tears

Ps. 5150 means criminally insane.

CC always,

Jason
    Last edited by Rhoads238; 5th December 2012 at 10:07 PM.

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Tears

Secretly you wanted this shot but were afraid to get one

The things people do to themselves for whatever reason.

Cool shot.

Real Name
    Richard

I am being judgemental but, what this guy has done to his body is like graffiti on the walls of a church (and I am not particularly religious). Sure, he has a right to decorate himself in any way he desires but, then I also retain the right to comment on his artwork. BTW: they look like prison tats...

I like the image because it gives me a feeling about this guy. He has a partial grin on his face that seems to reflect that he considers the world passing him by as ridiculous.

I think that I prefer the second image but would like to see the two bright spots to the right (as looking at the image) of his face cloned out. They seem to attract my attention away from the main subject...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 5th December 2012 at 10:55 PM.

Real Name
    Jason

I wanted to take his photo but I wasn't going to do it. I had a run in with a homeless a few weeks ago who was adamant about not having his photo taken. So I have been a bit reserved lately on who I take pictures of on the streets now. Also considering that 5150 is a gang tattoo and they were done in prison with blue bic pen ink. Fortunately for me he really wanted his photo taken.

Richard, good call on the lights, I hadn't noticed them. And now they are gone.

Tears

Thanks,

Jason

Real Name
    Koos

Dear Jason,

Good picture. Good choice to do it in B/W. I like the pp one also better.

Real Name
    Kevin

Excellent shot, Jason

His eyes just draw us in- thankfully, I cant see what's inside

Real Name
    Debbie

Interesting subject matter that's for sure. Good stuff.

Real Name
    Jon

Jason, I have no idea why this would have been "nerve racking"? I like your end product...nicely done.

Real Name
    Paul

Good work. The conversion works well. I have found many times...the more outrages the more likely they are ok or even thrilled to be photographed. I have had more trouble with the average looking individual. Although....ya just never know and if he is 5150, it was good to find out first.

Real Name
    Jason

Thanks everyone. He was a great subject. It turns out ex cons are easier to work with than children imo. I really wish i had my flash on me as I think it could have benefited to have more dynamic light. I have been reading a lot on strobist.blogspot.com I'm sure most people on here already know the page but the guy is truly a master.

Thanks again everyone,

Jason

Real Name
    John

Hi Jason,
    I must be so naïve; I thought this picture was taken at some type of protest march and this guy had used some sort of temporary / removable ink.
    I have never heard of 5150, but think this is a great capture.
    Well done, I don’t think I would have taken the shot; scared of a punch on the nose.

Real Name
    Philip

At first, before reading the explanation of the number, it did seem to be an extreme course of action for him to take, following the demise of his HP Deskjet 5150 printer.

The photo is very good but, at the risk of it being a minority opinion (not that this bothers me), the second version just doesn't appeal - the processing is far too OTT for my taste.

Cneers.
    Philip

I meet this guy on the bus on 12/21/2015 his name is Tim and he have some issues I think that he is a very dangerous guy he said he was going to Virginia but he got off the bus in St. Louis Missouri if this would 5150 really Menes he fits the description for real

Real Name
    John

Hi Jason,

Had quite a few similar incidents occur while visiting Miami, they can be unsettling and once your radar gets activated you don't feel safe until after the event has passed. I will say that I met quite a few interesting characters, captured a few images of them (for personal use, a few asked to be photographed) and am glad the experience didn't turn for the worse. You got a good capture, a lot closer to the subject than I'm comfortable with; but it seems like you faired well in your encounter.

Real Name
    Dean

Very nice shot! I understand the "nerve racking."

Real Name
    mark

Tears usually stand for a person they killed. Told to me by a former gang member.

Nice image Jason. B&W works really well on this one.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Just reading this post is nerve wracking at the most...I wouldn't dare approach this man...not for the life of me! I am glad you are OK...