Thread: Lone Horse on a Snowy Day

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Lone Horse on a Snowy Day

Sorry that I have not been able to participate in forum lately, but did get out last month during snow storm and captured a few photos near home. This photo was taken at a horse farm as the snow was falling. I am curious what people think. Any suggestions for improvements would be appreciated.

Lone Horse on a Snowy Day

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Lone Horse on a Snowy Day

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Curtis View Post
    I am curious what people think.
    I think it's a beauty. A lovely, balanced image: The position of the horse and the trees relative to each other, just works so well.The conversion works perfectly for me, although some people might suggest it needs more contrast.

Only thing I'd suggest is looking to see what could be achieved by various crop options. I think it might strengthen it even more. I'm not sure we need all the space at the top and/or at the bottom. So you could try:
    1) Cropping at the top (leave the bottom) to make something like a 4:5 ratio image,
    2) Cropping at the bottom (leave the top)) to make something like a 4:5 ratio image,
    3) Cropping at the top and the bottom) to make a 1:1 (square) ratio image, or you could ...........
    4) Disagree with all of the above and leave it as it is.
    Last edited by Donald; 5th December 2012 at 02:07 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

This is the kind of image that, as Donald mentions, can be cropped in many ways. For me, none of them are better than the others; they are only different.

I really like this image a lot. You might want to consider less sharpening and perhaps less contrast on the horse. Both changes might make the snow appear a little softer, more natural. I would have to see a revision to know for sure about that.

Real Name
    Connie Keyes

I like all of the space around the trees and horse, it adds to the loneliness of the horse and the vastness of landscape. I think it works and would enjoy looking at it on the wall wondering about a house near by or a barn or someplace for the horse to shelter. Reminds me of Robert Frost's Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening .."whose woods these are, I think I know, his house is in the village though......"

Real Name
    Miltos

This image is just brilliant.

Agree with Mike about the different crops.

This sort of scene rarely works well. This is the exception.

I would agree with cropping the top a little but not really sure how to finish the crop. Probably a case of trying a few alternatives then having another think.

Cropping the bottom as well and going somewhere around 5 x 4 ratio is another option; but I fear it may look a little 'squashed'.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Should have added to my original above, this reminds me of some of Wendy's (ScoutR) images. She also has posted some wonderful images featuring horses and snow. They're not together in a CiC album unfortunately.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Ken,

I like it too, but for me, the best crop option is some off the bottom - I measured; I think 80px off the 696px height (posted here) would be my choice.

I also thought of Wendy (ScoutR) when I saw this

Personally, I wouldn't alter the contrast, it looks fine to me.

Welcome back,

Give the horse a bale of hay.

Real Name
    Pat

Hello Ken,
    Definitely a beauty, excellent image, I agree with a crop to take away some of the empty space at the top.
    Best Wishes, Pat.
    PS........Should be hanging on a wall.

Real Name
    Wendy

Beautiful shot Ken, no matter how you crop or process it. Hope you get a chance to go back for more. There's just something about a horse in the snow... I'm flattered that Donald and Dave thought of me when they saw this - Really, I haven't even come close, but this does motivate me to get out there and see what I can find.

Wendy

Real Name
    Sergio

It is a great image, Ken. Wonderfully seen and captured.

Real Name
    Frank Deland

Ken, I would have loved to have taken this image, seen this view! It reminds me of 'minimalist photography'.

This is an uncluttered frame with subjects that are in harmony, well related to each other. Snow and sky, silhouettes, call out for a black and white image.

Just scrolll the page up or down and you can have a quick look at cropping effects of either the top or bottom. As a general rule (for me, anyway) omit space that does not have any interesting detail, like a washed out sky. Same for the snow covered ground in the foreground. It is just a lot of the same look, so we do not need to see too much of it. We also do not need to see all of that sky. However, you also do not want to crowd your subjects either. The tree needs space to grow up into, and the horse needs space to move into.

I like having the space in front of the horse. He belongs on the viewers right rather than up against the left edge with no where to 'walk into'. My preference would be to crop out more of the sky than of the ground.

Here is a random view of 'minimalist' photography from a quick google of the web:

http://acrisdesign.com/2011/04/50-be...t-photography/

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Considering that so many people have suggested cropping the top and/or bottom, I just have to mention that I believe the image is absolutely fine as is. The space at the top and bottom help emphasize the cold solitude of the image. Personally, if that is the story I wanted to tell, and I do think it's a darned good story, I wouldn't change a thing.

Real Name
    Joe

This image is a beauty. I would leave this image as is. If I were going to crop it I would make a virtual copy in Lightroom and crop the copy to explore options without destroying pixels in the original.

Real Name
    Paul

Ken, I very much like this image as well. As said the crop could go many ways and likely as many different people would do it another way even then. The one thing that nags me in the image is that the trees stand out nearly as clearly as the horse and thus gives it a somewhat flat feel. By blurring and or lightening the trees I think they will feel further into the snow.

I have given your image a play, and it may not be to your liking, but will post my version if you wish.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Thank you everyone for taking the time to comment. I appreciate the feedback. I'll play with some of the ideas mentioned during the next few days.

By the way, the link to minimalist photos provided by Frank in his post was quite interesting.
    Last edited by Ken Curtis; 6th December 2012 at 04:03 PM.

Real Name
    Frank Deland

Hey, I see what Mike means. Leaving all that sky does make me feel a bit more chilled! It does set the mood of a cold, snowy day. I guess it shows that sometimes a big empty space can enhance an image. Examples appear in the link of my previous post.

It brings me to the point that when I see an image for C&C, I think okay what would I change. "Don't change a thing" should be an option, too. Then when I see a photo that I like a lot, I try to describe what it is that I like. In fact, while looking through a publication of professional photos, it is a good exercise to look and try to understand what makes a particular photo a good one. What did the photographer do to make me stop and look at the photo? What is the subject and how are our eyes drawn to it? What is the mood?

Here is what photographer Kathleen Clemons wrote about finding subjects to photograph in winter:

"....if you don't get outside and look around, you definitely won't find anything to shoot. Bundle up, get out there, see what catches your eye and photograph it! Look up, look down, look for patterns, texture, contrasts, shoot from macro to wide angle, winter can be a wonderful time to make photos.
    Here's a list of winter subject suggestions for those of you who live in cold winter zones:

* Snow scenes: landscapes, snow simplifies and also hides distractions
    * Snowstorms- freeze falling snow with a fast shutter, or blur it with a long exposure
    * Frost patterns and textures
    * Frozen leaves and plants
    * Snow patterns
    * Ice patterns
    * Textures
    * Tree branch shadows on snow
    * Tree branch silhouettes
    * Icicles
    * Ice/snow covered vines and berries
    * Christmas cactuses and Poinsettias
    * Try vertical panning the leafless trees
    * Beaches are beautiful in winter too!
    * If the weather is really brutal, set up still life arrangements, buy flowers, shoot inside "

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Frank. I like what Kathleen Clemons wrote. It offers suggestions to get started until you begin noticing things on your own.