Thread: Winter is coming

Real Name
    Timo Heinonen

Winter is coming

Winter is coming
    Yesterday (1.12.2012) we got snow, temperature fall into -12 C and lakes freezed. Picture is taken from the top of water tower in the City of Varkaus in Eastern Finland.

Re: Winter is coming

And I was feeling cold after our first frost of the year and a temperature of -2.

Sharp focus and good exposure.

The only thing I was wondering about was a slight crop from the sky. Maybe to just above the smoke on the left side.

Not sure how to take a similar amount from the sides though; possibly the right side?

Just by holding some card against the screen, this appears to give a little more apparent depth to the scene.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Timo,

There's a lot that is right about this shot and it is very interesting to study.

It looks like a fairly wide angle (but no EXIF data to confirm) and I think there is is some uncorrected barrel distortion.

What PP softawre do you use?

Cheers,

Real Name
    Timo Heinonen

I tried to improve the pic according to Geoff's and Dave's advices. As software I use Nikon Capture NX2 together with ViewNX2. In Capture there is distortion correction feature, which I used for barrel distortion (slider to +26). I cropped sky and tried to make vertically symmetrical composition. My lens was Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX and it was in it's wide end.
    Winter is coming

Possibly a pity that you had to lose the chimneys on the left; but that reduced sky certainly gives more emphasis to the buildings etc.