Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Does Gestalt Work?

Real Name
    Chuck

Does Gestalt Work?

Can you fill in the blank or is it just too much to ask? C&C appreciated.

Be sure to click on the image to enlarge.

Does Gestalt Work?

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Does Gestalt Work?

Nice shot.

You could try a horizontal flip.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Yes it works and well.

Real Name
    Chuck

Bobo and Paul, thanks for the comments. Instead of trying a horizontal flip I decided to just post the entire photo. C&C on that? Click on photo to enlarge.

Does Gestalt Work?

Real Name
    james

thats neat how easily the point of interest is changed.

Real Name
    Chuck

Thanks James. I thought it would be fun to play with different ways to present this scene. Thought it might generate some discussion.

Real Name
    Jason

I like the whole image better. For me showing the mountain adds something. Nicely done.

Real Name
    Bobo

The whole looks much better. Very nice shot imho.

Real Name
    Bill S

I agree. The whole image is way better. I felt the crop on the first was off-putting because the peaks of the mountains were shown in the reflection, but were not visible in the frame. It make the reflections feel faked... if you get my meaning, not sure how else to put it - they just seemed weird somehow.

Only suggestions would be a crop that removed the foreground tree on the right. And then I'd love to see a B&W processing as well!

- Bill

Real Name
    Chuck

Jason and Bobo, thanks for the comments. I like the whole image better as well, but I am also interested in trying to see if there are ways to use reflections creatively. Guess I'll have to keep working on that one.

Bill, I understand what you mean about the mountains being "weird". It is somewhat disconcerting to see mountains upside down. I tried your suggestion for a crop and a black and white version. I like the crop a lot. Wish I had thought of that. I am interested in seeing what kind of comments are posted regarding the B&W version. Thanks to all of you for taking part in the conversation. - Cheers, Chuck

Does Gestalt Work?

Does Gestalt Work?

Real Name
    Steve

Ain't it fun to play around with our images? I also like the full view best as it;s just my preference in landscapes. The color version is very good but the B&W gives it a film look from the past.

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by Teton Chuck View Post
    Jason and Bobo, thanks for the comments. I like the whole image better as well, but I am also interested in trying to see if there are ways to use reflections creatively. Guess I'll have to keep working on that one.

Bill, I understand what you mean about the mountains being "weird". It is somewhat disconcerting to see mountains upside down. I tried your suggestion for a crop and a black and white version. I like the crop a lot. Wish I had thought of that. I am interested in seeing what kind of comments are posted regarding the B&W version. Thanks to all of you for taking part in the conversation. - Cheers, Chuck

Does Gestalt Work?

Does Gestalt Work?
    Now we're talking. As I envisioned, the crop and B&W make that photo even better for me. Now I want to visit that location myself (which I find is something I strive for in my landscape photos - if you can make the viewer want to be there, then you succeeded)!

- Bill

Real Name
    Chuck

Thanks Steve and Bill. It has been fun. Bill, come on out to Jackson Hole and I will show you the spot. But don't come before May 1st because the are will be closed for the next five months.

Real Name
    Tommy

I absolutely love your B&W conversion of that image, including the crop. I don't think the image you originally posted works particularly well.

Gestalt psychology is a new one on me, I'll admit that, but having looked it up I toyed with the idea of cropping the photo just above the bank on the midline of the original image. It looks ok, but, like you said, viewing mountains upside down just doesn't seem to fit right. We are not used to seeing them that way. Maybe from a different perspective in a different type of image it could work well, but here I think you nailed it with the more conventional crop.

Love the B&W version the most!

Real Name
    Chuck

Thank you Tommy. I wouldn't have done it without the suggestions from Bill. Another good lesson for me.

Real Name
    Jon

I really liked the full color version...and then you had to add the B&W conversion, OK, I now have a new favorite. Very well done.