Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Shooting the Four Towers

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Shooting the Four Towers

Hi all,

I took some photos of the Four Towers in Madrid at sunset, and have selected six for C&C. All were taken with a Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5/4.5 USM lens.

Thanks in advance for looking and commenting.

#1. 1/25s at f/18
    Shooting the Four Towers

#2. 10s at f/11
    Shooting the Four Towers

#3. 13s at f/11
    Shooting the Four Towers

#4. 15s at f/11
    Shooting the Four Towers

#5. 30s at f/11
    Shooting the Four Towers

#6. 30s at f/11
    Shooting the Four Towers

Tony

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Re: Shooting the Four Towers

I have not been to Madrid for some years and therefore not seen these fantastic buildings. I would be interested to know there exact location. Great set of images, I particularly like No.1 and No. 5.

Real Name
    Trace

The first is the one that catches my eye the most. I love the stark contrast between the blue backdrop of the sky and the dramatic angle of the towers converging in.

For me, Tony, #1 is OK apart from that tiny piece of something in the bottom left corner. There is plenty of detail and good exposure, although perhaps not such a good overall scene as some of the others.

#2 is basically good, but I would try a tighter crop, possibly with a different size ratio if needed, to remove the right side piece of foliage. Maybe a mix of crop and clone. Not sure about the central foliage; I would consider cloning that out as well.

#3 & 4 are good apart from the distracting little bit of foliage in the top left corner.

#5 also has a problem with foliage. If it was sharply focused, for example a combination of two shots with different focus points, it would work. But at the moment I find it distracting, so would use a mix of crop and clone to remove it.

Much the same applies to #6.

Apart from the foliage distractions, these shots are well focused and exposed under what must have been difficult lighting conditions.

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

I just lost at least 15 minutes of editing this post because of a "token expired" message when I tried to switch the editor to Source Mode (which saves waiting for it to display the photos of the links I insert to the post). So I'll start again and type faster. Grrr...

Chris, the towers are on Paseo de la Castellana, a long avenue that runs from the centre of Madrid to the northern edge of the city. They are here on Google Maps.

Trace, thanks for your comment. The first photo was the easiest to take, as there was plenty of daylight - it's just a point-and-shoot, which is hard to get wrong with the lovely sunny weather in Autumn in Madrid and these photogenic towers.

Geoff, thanks for your comments. In #2 I wanted to frame the towers with the tree and foliage, which is something that either appeals or it doesn't. However, as you said, the foliage of #3 and #4 don't contribute at all to the picture, not even arguably. My wife particularly likes #5 and #6; being an artist I think the blur of the moving leaves and branches appeals to her. However, I understand that it's not to everyone's taste and many consider it a defect. I like your idea of taking two photos and overlaying. Or I could just shoot it in the day with a fast speed instead of 30s.

I took more photos of the towers this morning shortly after sunrise, which I'll post on this thread tomorrow.

Tony