Thread: To 'Drag" a Smart Object in CS5 ?

Real Name
    Albert Sim

To 'Drag" a Smart Object in CS5 ?

Good day everyone,
    In PS, how should I drag a smart object of one across to the smart object of another as a new layer ?

I tried but failed to make it.

Please help.

TQ.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: To 'Drag" a Smart Object in CS5 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Sim View Post
    Good day everyone,
    In PS, how should I drag a smart object of one across to the smart object of another as a new layer ?

I tried but failed to make it.

Please help.

TQ.
    I might be totally wrong, but my first thought is that you probably can't, as the program would then have to track changes back to TWO source files, which would make things "tricky" programatically.

Possibly a slight failure of my understanding about the question here; particularly as I don't do a lot with Smart Objects.

However, with a few more details I will have a read of my book.

On a more general note. Initially, I had problems with CS5 in regard to transferring items between 'windows'. That is to say, I open one file and make a few changes then require to copy and paste that item onto another image, from a different file.

Eventually, I realised that I had to 'select' the initial item (as an individual object or the entire scene/layer) before copying and pasting as a new layer on the second 'window'.

For example, using the keyboard, Ctrl+A; Ctrl+C; Ctrl+V. And Ctrl+W if I wanted to close the initial file (while it was still 'live').

After that, things began to make sense; although I still sometimes forget to make the selection and find that pasting as a new layer doesn't work.

Not sure if that is going to be any help with smart Objects though.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Albert: you could try, once you have opened the first smart object, than File>place the second smart filr, now you have both on different layers and can now do what you want with them.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Albert Sim

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Albert: you could try, once you have opened the first smart object, than File>place the second smart filr, now you have both on different layers and can now do what you want with them.

Cheers:

Allan
    Hi Allan,
    I'll try your method. Actually, I want to merge a dramatic Sky image to a dull skyed image of a Building.

Inside the pages (158 to 161) of Martin Evening's 'Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers, he said :-
    1. Opened a raw image (Building) as a smart object layer in PS;
    2. Selected another raw image (Sky) and opened it as a smart object layer in PS too;
    3. Then in PS, drag the smart object layer of the Sky "across" the smart object layer of the Building, to add it as a new layer. then make a selection of the outline of the building and applied it as a layer mask to create the merged photo.
    Well, here is where I failed to do.

Does he mean dragging one layer thumbnail onto another layer thumbnail as opposed to actually dragging across to the screen? He doesn't make it clear; probably assumes everyone is as skilled and clever as he is.

I have done the same sort of thing with select, copy and paste as a new layer.

Another editing tip from that book which I regularly use is to Shift Click an edited Raw image when transferring to the main Photoshop window. Then right click the layer and select New Smart Object via Copy.

Double click the layer thumbnail which takes me back to the Raw editor for some different editing; and click OK when finished.

Which I find very useful for creating two images with different Exposure, etc. The layers can then be merged in the usual way with masks etc.

Learning more about Smart Objects is something which I have planned for the really dismal winter weather days!

OK Albert, I've reread the relevant section - several times; plus a few other pages and after a bit of experimentation I think I have some idea about what he is doing.

I kept notes; but converting them into something logical may be even more complicated than understand this editing principle!

So this is what I did, approximately . . .

Transfer two separate Raw conversions as Smart Objects into CS5 edit window (Shift click to create smart objects when converting).

In CS5 select the Arrange Documents icon from top toolbar and show in split screen mode.

Drag one image layer thumbnail line across to the other image, on the screen; and drop.

Close the image which isn't now required (the source image for the drag/drop).

You now have just one image on the screen but with two layers (original plus dragged layer).

Edit the area which needs changing. For instance, draw a selection around portion to be retained or removed. Edit as required, Hide or Reveal Selection for example. Edit from the Layer Menu; or the Select menu for changes to the selection.

You should now have a changed image according to your desired actions.

This is almost exactly how you would have done the same thing with normal layers, etc. The main difference is that you can double click on any layer thumbnail which takes you back to the Raw Editor for any further editing options.

The layer mask can easily be altered with any of the normal tools.

Maybe of little practical use under most circumstances, but the ability to change WB or exposure etc may help when blending two scenes together.

I have created an example. Very badly, so what I have done becomes more obvious.

As you can see, I have placed the rowing boat onto a different background.

Does this make any sense to anyone else? I think I can just about understand what I did!

Real Name
    Albert Sim

Hi Geoff,
    your image really is ... mmmmm... haha.... very bad indeed, but it does served the purpose to illustrate what you are trying to explain.

Great job Geoff and Thank you so much.

Cheers.

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I have created an example. Very badly, so what I have done becomes more obvious.

As you can see, I have placed the rowing boat onto a different background.

Does this make any sense to anyone else? I think I can just about understand what I did!
    Yes, it makes sense, for me in GIMP I had two photos open, selected the section, copied and pasted it from one photo on to a new photo.

And taking just a little more time to feather in the edges.

Extracting part of an image from one photo and pasting into another can be done in quite a few ways; most need a little care though.

Incidentally, I briefly mentioned in another recent post that when using the magnetic selection tool you can easily improve effectiveness by temporarily increasing the contrast of the source image.

One simple way to do this without changing the original is to create a duplicate layer, or use an Adjustment Layer, then changing the Blend Mode which will produce sharper better defined edges. Blend Modes like Overlay, Multiply, Dodge or Burn are typical examples.

When the selection has been created, including any refinements, delete, or hide, the temporary layer and the selection automatically drops down onto the required source item.