Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Various camera accesories

Real Name
    A. Rodríguez

Various camera accesories

Hi, i have around $80 that i wish to spend on camera accesories. My camera is a Canon A-1 and i have a 50mm Canon Lens and my tripod. I was wondering if there is any accesory that i should buy like a lens hood or some filters (currently i have only a UV Filter) or wait and save more for another lens. Hope you guys can help me (:

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Various camera accesories

I use a polarizing filter for most of my outdoor shots to reduce reflections from non-metallic surfaces and to enhance the sky. It is the one accessory that I use on most of my outdoor shots. You might want to consider that as a next step.

Real Name
    A. Rodríguez

Thanks (: i guess im gonna try and get one. Are lens hoods really worth buying?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Lens hoods definitely help "concentrate" the light and avoid flare. I would consider the lens hood to be the accessory to own, as it also helps protect the lens from damage. My second accessory to own would be the polarizer filter that Manfred mentioned.

Real Name
    Dan

I agree about a lens hood and a polarizing filter. However, if you buy the filter, make certain that is a multicoated one. The coatings reduce flare. To get an idea of price, Hoya and Marumi are reasonably priced multicoated filters.

A lens hood does not concentrate light, but it does block light from the sides and therefore reduces flare. It also provides a modest degree of protection for the lens. I usually keep one on the lens. You have to make sure that the hood is appropriately designed for your particular lens. If it is too long or narrow, it can cause "vignetting"--a darkening around the edges of the image.

Beyond these simple things, I would recommend NOT buying anything unless you have a particular need. The range of equipment is endless, far more than most people can buy. So, it is important to figure out which equipment is most useful for YOU, given what you want to shoot.

Real Name
    J stands for John

I was 'brought up' to consider a lens without a hood wasn't a lens ... but that was back when lenses were not as good as they are today ... whatever the habit sticks with me I was rather shocked when I bought a Nikon camera which had absolutely no provision to carry a hood, other than that it is a fabulouis camera.

Over the years I have bought many accessories thinking 'That might be useful" before I got the habit of only buying what I need.
    If you shoot landscapes with blue sky and clouds then the CPL could be used quite a bit ... I use a moderate close-up lens more.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi there,

My suggestion, assuming that's an old film SLR Canon A-1, would be a hot shoe level, so you can get landscape shots level in camera. However, if that's not a problem, don't waste money on gadgets, you'll need it for film and processing won't you?

For my shooting, usually with a telephoto lens, I don't use my polariser that often; I'd rather have those two stops of light.

I do recommend a lens hood though.
    Another thought might be a UV filter, if the lens doesn't have one.

What makes sense for you depends what you intend to shoot really.

We're a very friendly bunch here at CiC and we'd find it better if we had your first name in the Real Name field rather than "A. Rodríguez".

Welcome to the CiC forums from ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrouspizza View Post
    Thanks (: i guess im gonna try and get one. Are lens hoods really worth buying?
    Admittedly I am biased and opinionated.

Lens hoods are essential. . . . That's four periods in a row.

Glenn

Real Name
    Terry

How about a small lens cleaning kit?

Real Name
    Scott

Shoulder strap. The neck straps are terrible.