Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Pterodactyl!

Real Name
    Terry

Pterodactyl!

Admittedly, I am not a big bird guy! And it’s easy to tell!

But I have always wanted one of these. I love these birds. I also know where there is a rookery. Or used to be. I haven’t been back in a while.

I went canoeing a week or so ago gunning for one. Saw several, but I was not alone and the other boaters usually spooked them before I had a chance. Saw several bald eagles as well (another story)!

Today I went for a little walkabout in the woods. Found this guy(gal?) in a creek confluence.

I sat with him/her for about 2-1/2 hours. He/she never spooked. I was wide open but never made any sudden moves. In fact, most of the time he/she remained motionless wrapped in his wings keeping toasty!

There were around 13 deer in the area including two nice (but young) bucks and I thought he might spook and take flight but he never did. In fact this was one of the couple of times he/she made any significant movement at all.

I know this isn’t Nat Geo stuff, but as a non-bird guy I was kind of excited seeing and being able to spend so much time in such close proximity to one of my favorite birds.

Pterodactyl!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Pterodactyl!

I think that's really good. What I like is the lighting. It picks the bird out from the background and, to me at least, it conveys a sort of 'clean-air' feel (that's the best way I can describe it).

Real Name
    Connie Keyes

You did a nice job getting him to pose also.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I'd be pleased to have shot that Terry

Well done,

Real Name
    Paul

It is very nice Terry, I would be pleased with it. Just note... it is a capture of a Heron that started me on birds. I was never a bird watcher really. Then I noticed them flying into my landscapes and tried catching a few. When I finally nailed a good one of a Heron I was hooked! Careful the slope is slippery and very steep!

Real Name
    Bobo

A very nice shot. I have had my share of heron shot and this one stands way way above my first efforts.

Real Name
    Terry

Thank you Donald.

Connie, I sat with him/her for a while! I got the pose and after a while it was known that it was time for me to move along for the day. I think I may see this one again!

Dave, thank you sir.

Paul? Great! Just what I need! Another slippery and steep slope to slide down! I really do feel something with these birds. Always have.

Bobo, because of that, and the fact that I have never had my share of shots with these guys, it was a really fun time. They have always been elusive for me any time I have a camera. Now, I have never really seriously tried, but I always see a ton of them being the Water Rat that I am!

Thank you everyone for taking the time to view and comment.