Sharon

Colours of winter ( Anstruther) 3 pics

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Re: Colours of winter ( Anstruther) 3 pics

I like the window in image one. So much so that i would crop out most of the wall to the left and let the window have more of the final image.

Two is great. Nice and subtle.

In the third; I would have avoided the vignette effect and let the hard sharp light on the hay extend to the edges. The light edges draw my eye too much. I really like the way the puddles in the field are emphasized by their subtle splash of color in the almost monotone environment. I would also consider cropping really close to the steeple to reduce the light sky as an element.

Real Name
    Sharon

Thank you for considered comments Trevor.

I know some people are not keen on vignettes but I thought it helped to convey the frosry feeling of the field...Late gathering the hay in this year.

The first one is such an abstract that I like the bold, dark angles of frame around the window but I will take your suggestions on board and re-visit the images with them in mind.

Thanks again.

Real Name
    Steve

Of the 3 I like the first one best. I think it conveys 'winter' better than the others. I might be tempted to straighten the vertical lines but otherwise I like it as is. Just my ¢¢ (or is that 2p?).

Real Name
    Bill S

I have to buck the trend here and say #1 does absolutely nothing for me... that's just me though.

However, #2 I swear looks like it could be a movie poster. I love the painterly look to it. Everything is in balance. I honestly can't think of a single thing I would change with it. Absolutely stunning work!

#3 is another winner for me too. Again with the painterly look, and the perfect balance. Usually I dislike dramatic vignettes like that, but in this case, I think it is spot on and actually think it completes the image perfectly.

Absolutely beautiful!

- Bill

Real Name
    Sharon

Thank you so much Steve and Bill.

It's really refreshing to get such different views on shots.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    There are lots of photographers out there who absolutely insist that white vignetting should be banned and those who use it cast into the fires of hell forever. The argument is that the whole idea of vignetting is to darken up the edges so that the viewer's attention is directed into the image and not out to the edges.

Well ................!

I'd suggest that this is the example that proves the theory wrong (oh boy, that should start a debate!). I think this is a gorgeous image, with the excellent composition being complemented by that light vignette

Real Name
    Yvonne

I also like the window best, and while the dark on the left doesn't bother me (I think it would look odd if that was cropped out actually) I am bothered that the vertical lines are slightly askew.

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Evn1ngStar View Post
    I also like the window best, and while the dark on the left doesn't bother me (I think it would look odd if that was cropped out actually) I am bothered that the vertical lines are slightly askew.
    Thanks Yvonne. It is very much an abstract and the first thing I did with it OOC was straighten the verticals...it looked AWFUL. ( feel free to have a play with the image and see what I mean)

Donald, thank you....there IS a place for the white vignette!

Real Name
    Dan

I like the third the most. I've seen good use of white vignettes mostly in winter shots, where it does push attention to the center, but it seems fine here--not at all distracting. And in other respects, it is a very striking image.

I am the odd one out, but the second image does nothing for me because of the saturation. if that were pulled back to more natural levels, the image might be striking, but I am having a hard time envisioning it.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    There are lots of photographers out there who absolutely insist that white vignetting should be banned and those who use it cast into the fires of hell forever.
    Forever seems too draconian; maybe just until hell freezes over.

And Sharon gets a free "Get out of Hell" pass for prior good deeds and good taste

Real Name
    Sharon

ha ha ha !