Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Interchangeable Focusing Screen - What does it do?

Interchangeable Focusing Screen - What does it do?

Hello all,

My new camera has a feature that allows for interchangeable focusing screens (5D MarkII). It says it can take "Eg-D: Grid lines, Eg-S [point of Focus], Eg-A standard focusing screen provided". What are these other focusing screens, what do they do, what do they look like, and most importantly what are they used for? (And is it worth getting them?)

Thanks,

Kent

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Interchangeable Focusing Screen - What does it do?

Hi Kent,

I haven't tried the Canon site, but intrigued, a quick google turned up these more helpful catalogue entries:
    EG-S
    EG-D
    and EG-A you have so you know what that looks like

I have never used this vendor, so there is no implied warranty as to their quality, prices, etc.

Cheers,

So if you use one of these other focusing screens, does it disable autofocus? How would you know (with autofocus) where the focus points are?

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by KentDub View Post
    So if you use one of these other focusing screens, does it disable autofocus? How would you know (with autofocus) where the focus points are?
    Hi, I use the grid screen with my 5DII as it aids getting the horizon straight and also ehlps with composition. Auto focus works just fine. Other friends use the focus point screen when they want to use manual focus but I haven't used it myself. Hope this helps.

Peter

That's one thing I like about the NIKOND90, you can switch the grid screen on and off with the push of a button.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill44 View Post
    That's one thing I like about the NIKON D90, you can switch the grid screen on and off with the push of a button.
    Yeah, I can do that on a D5000 too

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill44 View Post
    That's one thing I like about the NIKOND90, you can switch the grid screen on and off with the push of a button.
    Do mean like we do on Canon's with liveview active?

So from what I'm gathering... All it does it add a grid to the focus screen so for landscape/architecture you can level the camera? What do the other ones do? I get that they aid manual focus (not sure how though) - but would one have to switch focus screens (does one have to take apart the camera to do it?) in order to put the default one back to get the autofocus boxes back (or are they always there)?

(BTW: Theres 'hacked' firmware for the 5dmkII that allows you to load custom overlays onto the live view -- http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/M..._Firmware_Wiki)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Do mean like we do on Canon's with liveview active?
    Yep, and I've found that they even work if you bother to use them. Thank dog for straightening in Lightroom.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by KentDub View Post
    So from what I'm gathering... All it does it add a grid to the focus screen so for landscape/architecture you can level the camera? What do the other ones do? I get that they aid manual focus (not sure how though) - but would one have to switch focus screens (does one have to take apart the camera to do it?) in order to put the default one back to get the autofocus boxes back (or are they always there)?
    Hi Kent,

I've never bothered to change one, but I have cleaned mine lots of time. To pop it out you just need to pop off the lens and push a small tensioned metal tab (attached to the retaining frame) in the right direction for the frame to swing down, allowing the screen to be removed.

If your interested, there are several videos on youtube showing how it's done. On the 1Ds3 (and probably others) there are settings to tell the camera what tpe of screen is installed - presumably to adjust AF indicators etc.