Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Who are the GIMP gurus

Real Name
    Robin

Who are the GIMP gurus

Hi to the GIMP gurus.

I am being nosey and wonder who you are.
    The reason is I try to find how to move part of a photo.
    In my thread, Another attempt at PP I have a photo of a Cathedral.

I am attempting to move the branches and leaves up, as one poster suggest and showed.

When I tried it, I ended up with a white space that I had to fill in, and had to try and change the blue around the leaves.

That seems like a big ask, and I have ended up with a blotchy effect that I am having trouble getting right.

However there does seem to be another way, "liquid rescale". but I haven't figured that out yet.

Can anyone point me to the tutorials that help newbies out.
    And I am a slow learner.

I have found a you tube video on it, but it goes so fast, I will have to watch it lots.
    Printed tutorials are also helpful for me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKvGuckE_P8
    Last edited by rawill; 29th November 2012 at 02:20 AM.

Stockholm, Sweden (and sometimes Santiago de Cuba)
    Real Name
    Urban Domeij

Re: Who are the GIMP gurus

I'm not that much of a guru, and usually I don't do those things with my images, but one of the more convenient tools is the clone stamp. With the clone stamp, you point at an object that you want to change the position of, and then you paint it where you want it, and in the original place, you paint the background with which you want to cover the original occurrence. In the case of a roof, you may have to align the tiles when you do that transformation, and separating the branches may be a tricky undertaking.

There are also other ways of doing it, and it is much easier to just remove things you don't want there, which can often be done with the healing brush. It is done in a similar way as cloning, although the healing brush (band-aid) does somewhat more to hide its traces. Nevertheless, aligning is necessary when there's a repeated pattern, as with tiles.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I'd put myself in the same category as Urban - I am a GIMP user but not to the extent of moving parts of images around within it. It's a skill I've never sought to master.

If you have a look through Rolf Steinort's catalogue of video tutorials at Meet the Gimp, you may well find what you're looking for. What i do know about the GIMP came from Rolf's tutorials

Real Name
    Robin

Many thanks for the replies.
    I will check the tutorials out.

I understand about not wanting to manipulate too much.
    But now I am discovering photograhy is not photography but also art in a much more involved way than I ever thought possible.

By that I mean, creating what I want to see, rather than what was or is there.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by rawill View Post
    By that I mean, creating what I want to see, rather than what was or is there.
    And that, Robin, is a perfectly legitimate pursuit. Indeed the GIMP is built for graphic artistry of that very sort .......... it's just that I don't know how to do it.

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    And that, Robin, is a perfectly legitimate pursuit. Indeed the GIMP is built for graphic artistry of that very sort .......... it's just that I don't know how to do it.
    But Donald, how come I find it hard to believe you!,
    when you say, ".. it's just I don't know how to do it".

With 12144 posts I can just tell you are one of the "gurus" whether you acknowledge it, believe it, or not.

Again thank you for the link.

Learning the tools and doing all this PP is like starting a new university course.