Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Glam/Rock'Roll/Jet-setting/Squirrel-chasing Diva III

Real Name
    Terry

Glam/Rock'Roll/Jet-setting/Squirrel-chasing Diva III

Miss Kellie is holding her own for now.

I have been relegated (promoted?) to cooking for her! Her vet has issued some items for us to keep her calorie’d up! She is following me around, being incredibly vocal (typical for her breed), and is giving those demon squirrels the Evil Eye. Nice to see her enjoying being a pup again. Well kind of. No doubt largely due to my culinary skills I’m sure!

She hasn’t been up to a shoot for the last couple of days, but she has now given me the go-ahead.

She specifically asked me to not only post another shot of her if we got something we liked, but she made me promise to show what I have done. She thought it appropriate that since this is an educational site for photographers that I just bare it all! I swear, this little lady always puts everyone’s interests ahead of her own. I apologize for the location. It is her/our home.

For this session, I lit Miss Kellie with a 15* gridded key from above @ 1/64 power. I fired another 30* gridded/flagged light directly into a white foam board for fill @ 1/128 power. Flagged because it was firing toward the camera into the bounce and gridded to hopefully help control the spill. She didn’t want any flare from her fill and she wanted her background nice. She is a little picky this way! The reflector was angled up at her from below.

I fired a third light from a camera bracket angled straight up and enclosed with a Fongsphere to add a bit more overall fill and catch lights. Set on ETTL and at -3 stops compensation.

She was shot at my X-Sync (1/250) to kill the ambient, but the wide shot of the set was backed off to 1/60 to allow the ambient back in to give the overall picture. All lights were fired for that shot. ISO 100 and f/5.6 all around. Manual. The set-up shots were at approx. 84mm focal length on a 24-105mm f/4.0L with the exception of the wide shot which was shot at 24mm. These shots are pretty much straight off the camera. Her final shot was at approx. 67mm focal length and processed.

I used the old “white towel/gray card on a pillow” trick for reference and to set my exposure. Mostly because it works and I don’t have a light meter! In fact, I used a few pillows for this and I apologize in advance for that breech of professionalism. One does what one has to do and they were handy! Especially handy since Miss Kellie and I had to take us a little nap after this shoot!

Here is how she set it up:

No lights fired at 1/250...

Key Only...

Fill Only...

Cam Light Only...

All Lights Fired...

The Set...

Also, I would certainly be remiss if I failed to thank my Lovely and Charming assistant, without whom, etc.!

Miss Whiz...

After getting everything dialed up (I hoped) I asked Miss Kellie to please take center stage. She gave me some kisses and sashayed up to assume her rightful place under the lights.

I think I’m barking up a tree here. And my trigger finger kept getting stuck because it was coated in Cheese Whiz! Miss Kellie likes her Cheese Whiz licked directly off my finger!

We made the few (and quick) adjustments and this is what we came up with!

Miss Kellie...

Miss Kellie wanted me to convey her appreciation to everyone for helping me out here. She would like for you all to please make all the suggestions you would like. She knows I need it but she loves me anyway!

Thank you everyone!

Real Name
    Helen Wood

Re: Glam/Rock'Roll/Jet-setting/Squirrel-chasing Diva III

Glad to hear Miss Kellie is holding her own. This pose is much better than V2 . I'm no guru on PP but was wondering if you might want to do something to darken the pupils while still retaining the catchlights. Another suggestion - if she is up for it, I would recommend asking her if she would be willing to pose in some of her favorite spots for a more informal portrait . Not sure what your weather is like these days for outdoor shooting but I do think having some photos of her in some favorite locales is also important. Glad to hear she has relegated you to the kitchen

Real Name
    Terry

Hi Helen!

Thank you for looking. Miss Kellie says hello!

In V1 I actually did darken her pupils. Her pupils are getting a little filmy and she has the beginnings of cataracts.

We actually have a good bit of stuff of her in the Big Out There! Plus a few of her in her fave spots around the house! I wanted to do a formal shoot of her while I can and since I now have a little bit of kit to do it with. The formals are the one thing we didn't have!

Yeah! I got up and did the shopping and the cooking today! I can bring home the bacon, and fry it up in a pan!

Okay, so she doesn't get bacon, but she does get the Fabulous Magical Miracle Medicinal Macaroni & Meat (chicken) and Cheese!

I prepare it with a huge dollop of love and she just scarfs it up! Seems not so good to me but the vet says go for it. She was up and kicking today and waiting for her Mommy at the door when she came home! Been a couple of days since Mommy got that welcome!

(I wait at the door for Mommy too but its just not the same!)

Real Name
    Muhammad Alwi

The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it: Oscar Wilde. With eyes and body like that you can't blame me for that.

The photo is perfect though.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I just want to know how many frames and how long to get that shot. It's wonderful. The pose: The expression: The direct gaze into the lens. Excellent bit of work.

Miss Kellie is a true model:> What a beautiful shot of her.. love the attitude in her look....

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Mat Ribut View Post
    The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it: Oscar Wilde. With eyes and body like that you can't blame me for that.

The photo is perfect though.
    Hi Muhammad!

Thank you for the kind words and the wise words of Mr. Wilde!

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I just want to know how many frames and how long to get that shot. It's wonderful. The pose: The expression: The direct gaze into the lens. Excellent bit of work.
    Hi Donald!

I mentioned to Miss Kellie what you said and she would like for me to express her most sincere appreciation, sir. Don't tell her I said this, but she was being a bit Diva-ish! I shot nine frames this session in about ten minutes or so and this was the last one! When I saw this one I knew we were done for the day! Then there was Cheeze Whiz and naps all around to celebrate!

Quote Originally Posted by Trina View Post
    Miss Kellie is a true model:> What a beautiful shot of her.. love the attitude in her look....
    Thank you Trina.

Kellie can schmooze with the best of 'em! You can't help but like her when you meet her. She can melt your Heart!