Thread: Exciting day.... after researching and more researching

Exciting day.... after researching and more researching

I ordered a refurbished Canon 7d with the EF 28-135 mm lens...I cannot wait for it to get here... I am wondering if there are any books that you all might recommend so I can learn all the wonderful things this camera will do...

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Exciting day.... after researching and more researching

Congrats Trina, I look forward to seeing some images!

Real Name
    Bobo

Congrats.

I find the books by David Busch are a better alternative to the included manuals. The Snapshots to Great Shots series are also pretty easy to understand. Either will get one up and running in no time.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Trina View Post
    I ordered a refurbished Canon 7d with the EF 28-135 mm lens...I cannot wait for it to get here... I am wondering if there are any books that you all might recommend so I can learn all the wonderful things this camera will do...
    Hi Trina,
    congratulation on your purchase, I know what it's like when you are waiting for delivery; my fingers are crossed it comes quickly.

Have a look at this site: http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book.../9780132118163
    I think it might be of interest.

I look forward to seeing your pictures with your new camera.
    Have fun.
    John

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Congrats Trina,

You know of course, it will be you, not the camera, that does all the "wonderful things".

Read the manual, ask questions here, perhaps even buy a 'field guide' (book) on it, in order to learn how to control the "wonderfulness"

All the best (excited for you),

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Quote Originally Posted by Trina View Post
    Trina, What I always do in waiting for my new camera is to download the owner manual, that way you have a jumb on things before it gets there. Congrats on your new camera.

I found some adjustment options on the 7D were confusing me. Like the auto focusing options for instance. But after reading the downloaded manual (it didn't come with a printed instruction book) I eventually managed to turn off what I didn't want; so it now works almost the same as my previous 40D.

The 28-135 is a good general purpose lens. Eventually, I upgraded to the 24-105 which gives me slightly better quality near the image sides but at the centre the 28-135 was just as good. And I do often miss that extra 30 mm at the zoom end.

Real Name
    Bill S

Trina,

I am partial to the Magic Lantern Guides - http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Lantern-.../dp/1600596649 - they're like the manual on steroids. They are structured similar to the manual, but instead of just telling you how to use a feature of the camera, it tells you why you would want to. Since it is specific to the 7D, you'll quickly know all the features of your camera and can take the best advantage of them.

I shoot with the 7D as well, and I refer to the Magic Lantern Guide before I go to the manual every time.

- Bill

Real Name
    Richard

The 7D is a wonderful camera but it is quite sophisticated. David Busch's Compact Field Guide for the Canon EOS 7D is a great additon (or alternative) to the User's Manual for learning this great camera and what it can do for you...

http://www.amazon.com/David-Buschs-C...words=7D+Busch

I took Pauls advice and downloaded the manual give me something to read while I wait for the camera arrive... I appreciate and will be checking out the book suggestions made above. So much to learn...I feel just like a kid on Christmas eve.... lol

Dave I know its not the camera that creates the pictures, but it just has so darn many cool features..:>
    I hope it ships tomorrow...then I will have some idea where it will be coming from and when it will get here.... I live in Oregon so hopefully they have a warehouse on this side of the US.... and it will get here yesterday:> Thanks again for the suggestions... can't wait to share some shots.....

I found the manual print too small and undigestable. The CD from MICHAEL THE MAVEN DOT COM IS SIMPLY TOO EXCELLENT to describe. If you like well structured presentation that's it. Cheers.

Real Name
    Bill Yeung

don't forget the you tube.
    you will love your 7D.
    enjoy

Bill