Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My daughter at the school playground...

Real Name
    Dr Paul Repage

My daughter at the school playground...

after school... no post-processing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Re: My daughter at the school playground...

Nice shot of a wonderful young lady and would have been better if you had used your flash as a fill light in order to being her face out from the showdows. Other than that it's a nice shot.

Real Name
    Dr Paul Repage

Quote Originally Posted by Melkus View Post
    Nice shot of a wonderful young lady and would have been better if you had used your flash as a fill light in order to being her face out from the showdows. Other than that it's a nice shot.
    I didn't want fill flash here... my whole idea was use of ambient light only, with the shadows lay as they may... notice the sun streaks on her left side

Real Name
    Sharon

Personally I like the dappled light you have captured there.Lovely shot.

Real Name
    Dr Paul Repage

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    Personally I like the dappled light you have captured there.Lovely shot.
    right on... that's what I was aiming for.

For those who think this was a posed, "stay where you are and look at Daddy" shot, let me fill you in. Francesca is a very energetic 5 yr old who, especially on the playground, is running, jumping, swinging, sliding, chasing - non-stop, full-tilt. My BEST shots of her in this environment involve observation of 3 things (1) the available light, (2) the direction of the light, and (3) my scouting a position where I can capture the best ambient light, shadows (or lack thereof) for the shot I think would be best.

After my plans & calculations were in place, I poised myself and waited, seeing that the slide was her preferred activity this day and the stars were aligned. I held my 50D at the ready with AI SERVO & holding the back focus button. 1.5 minutes later, she started running up the stairs of the slide, QUICKLY glanced at me, and 1/250th a second later, this shot was born.

Real Name
    Gretchen

Hello! what a beautiful girl.

I like to see the faces (mostly eyes) of children, So in PP, I'd close crop this shot as much as possible. In 20 years you won't care about the trees. You'll want to see her and only her.

On a side note, I had a bit of terror seeing her uniform. Mine was just like it.

I also am impressed that her hair stayed in the pony so well, but the time school was over, mine was all messed-up!