Thread: Son's first haircut

Real Name
    Darren

Son's first haircut

Evening all

I havent had the opportunity to take as many photos as I really should and even less time to post them on here and get some feed back however the wife and son are awayt so an opportunity for some "me" time.

Two weeks ago I took my son for his first haircut. He was a good boy and sat very still and was well behaved. Obviously grandparents and other familt wanted to see what he looked like so I took the oportunity to try some off camera flash. I have purchased a Yongnuo 460 II which I used with my D3100 and 35mm 1.8. Now Alex my son will be two years old in January so trying to get him to sit still and pose is pretty much impossible. I dont yet hav any light stands or diifusers so this was very much camera in one hand and flash in the other. Chase him around the living room and try to get a shot. Most turned out rubbish but I am pretty happy with this shot.

I would appreciate any comment or constructive criticism.

Thanks

Darren

[IMG]Son's first haircut First Haircut by Darren Joseph Gregory, on Flickr[/IMG]

Real Name
    Helen Wood

Re: Son's first haircut

Hi Darren . I think you did really well on this. I would suggest a tighter crop though. Maybe eliminate the empty space on the right to about the edge of the red cushion. The white curtain is a bit distracting. I can see a definate resemblance to his dad

Real Name
    Darren

Hi Helen

Thank you very much for your comments.

I am always a bit loath to crop. When he is a but older I am hoping I can get him to stand in a position witout the distracting background. Thins photo was probably one of about 20 the rest where pictures of him looking into the floor, ceiling, space! Photographing toddlers is challenging.
    Last edited by gredawarha; 24th November 2012 at 10:44 PM.

Real Name
    Helen Wood

Sports mode perhaps?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Nice moment! I agree that cropping to include at most a very small part of the white curtain would improve the image tremendously.

Real Name
    Darren

I'm considering using this image to practice some Photoshop skills. I'm thinking of removing Alex (my subject) and placing him on top of a separate image. Something more interesting for the background and less distracting.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to a replacement background, presumably I'm better off sticking to a relatively dark background?