Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Milkweed try 2

Real Name
    Dan

Milkweed try 2

Another perspective on the one I posted earlier. I think this may be the most images I have ever stacked--22. C&C welcome, of course.

Milkweed try 2

Real Name
    Andrew

Re: Milkweed try 2

You're going to start to think I'm stalking you!! I like this one better than the original - I can't put my finger on it, but I think it's showing off more of the texture, and colour. Plus, the perspective makes you think for a quick second - it's not obvious that it's a milkweed the moment you look at it.

Very impressive with 22 layers. I'm still trying to wrap my head around turning the focus ring that many times - there can't be any real way of accurately incrementing the turns, can there? Besides the method that Stagecoach mentioned earlier; taping a pre-marked graph around the lens.

At any rate - I'm just going to have to try for myself. Another great shot though Dan!!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around turning the focus ring that many times - there can't be any real way of accurately incrementing the turns, can there?
    Depending upon the aperture controlled DoF, you may not need to be all that accurate Andrew. I just wrap a piece of painter's tape around the lens to create a 'flag' that sticks out about an inch. It then becomes very easy to make relatively even increments by watching the tip of the flag as I turn the lens. Works great unless you accidentally bump the flag or move the ring without watching the flag! The painter's tape will come off with no residue or damage to the lens barrel.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Nice detail Dan! Looking good with the color, composition and black background!

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks all.

Allan, re this:

there can't be any real way of accurately incrementing the turns, can there?
    No, I don't think so. However, by watching the rubber grip on the focus ring--ribbed on my lens--you can make sure that the movement is small. I just try to err on the side of making the motion smaller than the maximum that would work. There is no great harm (other than slow stacking) in having slices that overlap, but if you have a gap, there is nothing you can do to fix it. In this case, I would bet that if I actually calculated the DOF and could control the focusing accurately enough, I could have made do with half as many images, maybe fewer.

Dan