Thread: Critique, My frustration with OP's so help us help you.

Real Name
    Mark

Critique, My frustration with OP's so help us help you.

There have been a couple of recent threads on critique etiquette but all seem aimed at the person spending enormous amounts of their time commenting/editing images rather than the fact the the OP didnt bother to put in the original post exactly what they are after.

I dont know whether there's a guide line to information you should include in your post on the forum but here is what i would like to see from the OP.

If you dont want C&C say so we have all nationalities on here with different sense of humour and although you may be posting an image that you think is humorous, you may need to make it obvious. A comment of "i though this was funny no C&C required" might help.

If you want C&C say so in the post, but dont leave it at that one of the biggest problems i have is that i dont know what the OP was trying to achieve. A photograph may be out of focus but that maybe what the OP wanted, how am i supposed to know?

So when you post a picture include your settings and what you were trying to do, and where you think the image excels or falls below your expectations and that way we can aim our comments to the area that you want.

Posting too many images at once. Feel free to post as many as you like but dont expect any comments other than "nice set" if i see a post with more than 3 pics then thats all youll get from me, i just dont have the time to give more.

If your happy with edits, then say so, if your not happy then say so.

Its all very well for OP's to moan about the lack of C&C and i cringe at the amount of time giving C&C in areas its not wanted because the OP was aware of those problems but wanted to know about something else.

The fact of the matter is that OP's need to put as much effort into their post and the person giving critique.

This of course is only my opinion but i think it could help a lot if the OP could give more info!!

My fingers hurt now so im going to put my soap box away

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Critique, My frustration with OP's so help us help you.

There is a middle ground that often prevents me from noting specific aspects of my image that I would want to call into question. One example is when I don't have anything particular in mind but still encourage critique that attends to an issue that I had not noticed. Another example is when I have a particular issue in mind but don't want to risk prejudicing people's responses by mentioning it.

Real Name
    Mark

Middle ground is always good Mike! just say so, rather than say C&C welcome on its own just add a simple line saying that that im generally happy but what do you think, or "i have some issues and wonder if you can see the same ones" just a bit of guidence helps!

youve been posting regularly would none of my suggestions have saved you any time ? did you never pass by a photo thats so bad that you dont know where to start and still be diplomatic? you never know, the OP may have just wanted pointers on a single aspect that you could have helped with quite easily.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

You make some good points, Mark. I'll be happy to add information to my threads in the future.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Folks - As I do so many times when welcoming new members to CiC, I always refer to Frank's post of some time ago which, I suggest, is still the best thing that's available to guide people in how to get the best possible feedback - How to Get Effective Feedback for your Posted Images

Real Name
    Mark

Thanks Donald, i knew there would be a much more eloquent thread on this somewhere