Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Post Miserable

Real Name
    Phil Page

Post Miserable

After taking one guy's photograph (the post called Miserable) another guy wanted his photograph taken. Previously I wanted to capture the man's pose, but this guy was standing.

Far easier to get closer for a head and shoulders shot, use the same aperture and get a bit more separation. I used the same background (random junk in the back of the truck). I could have stopped down a little further to get the tip of his nose in focus, but that doesn't bother me too much.

35mm, f5.6

Post Miserable

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Post Miserable

That 35mm of yours doesnt flatter is nose! but great texture, prefer your other miserable shot though.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Phil, is there not a rule of thumb to keep the eyes above the centre line in portraiture? I think it is preferred to have the eyes in the upper ⅓ of the picture. Bending your knees a little to get the shot from a lower angle would have solved that issue and a bit more of the shoulders in the image. You could also have had him standing more to his left to frame the image with the right hand rails on the truck in the picture as well.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Rule of thumb, Andre

35mm on full frame, eyes above centre, further left in the frame to include the right had side of the truck are mutually exclusive in this case, unless I stood back as far as in the previous shot