Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wide angle lens

Real Name
    Dennis A. Tilden

Wide angle lens

I am shooting with a Canon 7D and really need a good wide angle lens. now before anyone suggest Canon L series, would love to have one but right now can't afford that much on a lens. So I am down to Sigma, Tamorn and canon. Sigma seems to have the widest selection.Any input would be greatly appreciated. Dennis

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Wide angle lens

Have a look at the Tokina lenses as well. They tend to be superior to the Sigma and Tamron lenses, both mechanically and optically.

Real Name
    Dennis A. Tilden

Thank you Manfred

Real Name
    Richard

Hi Dennis,

There has been another thread that discusses recommendations for a wide angle lens on a crop camera (in that case a Nikon but, most replies are applicable to Canon mount versions). wide angle lens for landscape

I will reitterate that I love my Tokina 12-24mm f/4 Mark-I lens. It is well built, provides excellent image quality and the price was right...

Tokina has come out with a Mark-II version which, in the Canon mount version, is touted to have improved coating to minimize flare. I have had no flare problems with my Mark-I version but, apparently there are photographers who have had such problems. Otherwise, I doubt if Tokina would have come out with the Mark-II version. (Note: the Nikon Mark-I and Mark-II versions also differ in autofocus motor capabilities with certain model Nikon cameras)...

Another lens I would consider, if I were in the market for a wide angle lens for a crop camera is the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens. I would occasionally like the extra stop (when shooting in low available light conditions) but, I most often use a significantly smaller f/stop for my wide angle work since I will want maximum DOF. A positive point for the 12-24mm is that I could possibly limp along using this as a mid-range zoom (38.4mm long side) in case my 17-55mm fails (which it never has!)..,

BTW: The Tokinas come with a really nice lens hood which is an extra cost accessory for Canon non-L lenses...