Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Advice about a lens repair or a new lens, please.

Real Name
    Dave

Advice about a lens repair or a new lens, please.

I'd be grateful for some advice, folks.

I think it will be in two parts. The first from UK members, the second from anyone.

I've been using a 30 year old Sigma 70-210 zoom lens on my K5 for about a year without any problems until a couple of days ago.

It is a one touch lens, slide the barrel to zoom, rotate it to focus. Normally it is very easy to use to the extent that when angled downwards the lens will sometimes zoom by itself.

After using it for a few minutes it suddenly it became very difficult to either zoom or focus - not difficult to achieve focus, simply just turning the barrel.

I then noticed a slightly gooey residue (shown on the attached) on the inner barrel. I guess something that should help the zooming and focusing has failed.

Any ideas what and if it can be repaired? Any suggestions of a place to repair it will also be welcomed. I appreciate this last request is difficult but if anyone has a ball park figure for possible cost, that would be useful too. These questions are for the UK guys.

If a repair is not economically sensible, any suggestions of an alternative lens would be appreciated. I have looked at the

Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Lens, and the

Pentax SMC DA 55-300mm f4.0-5.8 ED Lens

but I know nothing about either so any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated and any views on other similar lenses too.

If my current lens is beyond repair I'm looking towards something with a bit more reach but can't go as far as a a long prime or anything like a Sigma 50-500mm.

Thanks

Dave

Advice about a lens repair or a new lens, please.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Re: Advice about a lens repair or a new lens, please.

Not a un-common problem with a older lens. Your seal in the body it self has broke down. I'm sure a shop could fix this but you have to ask your self is it worth the labor and part since it's so old vs buying a new one. Not sure where you find the seal at or what it take to put it in.

Real Name
    Ole Henriksen

Looks like a broken down rubber dust seal. No doubt repairable, but whether it makes economic sense I have no idea.

When I look for lenses my first port of call is always SLRgear.com because of their tests, and this is what they have to say about your two choices of lens:

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showprodu...uct/230/cat/31

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showprodu...ct/1171/cat/46

Real Name
    Dave

Thank you Mark and Ole.

The possible cost of repair versus a new lens was something I'd considered and it is mentioned by everyone I ask.

Thanks for the link to SLRgear.

Dave

Real Name
    Mark

Hi Dave, ive found these people ver approachable and they provide a great service, why dont you mail the pic to them and they will be able to best advise you and give you approximate costs.

http://www.ajjohnstone.co.uk/

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks Mark. I will give them a try.

Cheers

Dave