Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Embeded Watermarks

Embeded Watermarks

Thought some might be interested in this.

http://www.digimarc.com/digimarc-for-images

Also this one.

http://tineye.com/

Real Name
    Remco

Re: Embeded Watermarks

First thing I noticed about digimarc: they crawl the web and can see where your images end up, so yet another form of tracking you.
    And, it's $49 / year for a maximum of 1000 images marked.
    Now, that will make it easier to see who grabbed your images, but what then? (as 90+ % of 'thefts' will be outside your country of residence...)
    Also, I don't see it work against printed uses of your images.

They can (probably) deliver what they promise in terms of finding abuse and proving ownership, but what can you do with it next?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I haven't looked at them lately, but their software has been a Photoshop plugin for a long time. When Digimark first came out they were roundly criticized for leaving visible artifacts in the protected image, but I don't know what subsequent releases have done.

Personally, I agree with Remco; you still have to chase after the person(s) who have stolen your image. Is this really worth your time and effort?

Oh I agree whole hardly with each point made by Remco and Manfred.
    Other than posting my images here on the forum I have no other place yet and if I did I would follow Colins example in posting low res images and not worry about it.
    I am not a professional and therefore have nothing to worry about if someone did steal an image of mine. I may not like to see it posted on someone else's site and them taking credit for it but I would get over it quick, poor sap must have been desperate.
    I just thought there may be someone interested because of past posts on the issue and if they are that's okay, I have enough invested already or so my wife says.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in Louisiana View Post
    Other than posting my images here on the forum I have no other place yet and if I did I would follow Colins example in posting low res images and not worry about it.
    If "I'm the Colin" then I don't even worry about the low resolution bit these days - standard size on the web is 1600 x 800 these days.