Thread: Lillies

Real Name
    Peter

Lillies

Have been absent from this site, and indeed from photography for the last 12 months, various family and financial problems . But starting to get back into things. Hope you enjoy these, C & C welcome.

Lillies

Lillies

Re: Lillies

I just wonder if a pure black matte background would have displayed the delicate petals a little better.

Real Name
    Anne

Welcome back Peter.
    The images are nice, but like Geoff I would like to have seen them on a black background to make the petals stand out a bit more.
    Thanks for sharing. Anne

Real Name
    Bobo

Welcome back Peter.

Nicely shot - I like the nice clean and sharp lines. Yellow and white really well handled - not easy to get right in most circumstances.

Agree that a darker background would do much to make the flowers stand out. As can be seen in #2 the slightly darker background does make the petals stand out better then in #1.

But like most imagery, it was what you intend that is important.

Real Name
    Chuck

Peter, I agree that a darker background would make the petals stand out, however I like the way the flower at the front of the first image stands out and is very clear but the petals dissolve into the background as one looks deeper into the flower. For me this engages my imagination and creates a desirable mystery in the shot. Very nice.

Real Name
    Peter

I did take some against a dark back ground, for instnace....

Lillies

Real Name
    Dan

Very nicely done. I like the lighting in the second. I agree with the others about the white background, but it is more of a problem with the first than the second, because the OOF areas of the flowers in the back are hard to distinguish from the background.

Real Name
    Gretchen

Beautiful! I agree the first is kinda disturbinb because it's difficult to tell where the petals end and the background begins.

Perhaps using the light rendering function on Photohop would create a soft light around that would differentiate the background?

Real Name
    2 penny for the guess..

Hi Peter,

Wellcome back, and spectacular "comeback".
    I love most the "high key" image (#1), however the "white" is not 100% white on my monitor ... might be my gear fault. Also, looks to be very simetrical, I might be tempted to try a square crop.

Thanks for posting,
    Leo