Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My Essay On The "Edges"

Real Name
    Tyler

My Essay On The "Edges"

On Sat morning I went out on a mini-assignment documenting the always interesting edges in nature- those places where wood meets field and where the wild things are to be found. Here's my flora story...

My Essay On The "Edges"

My Essay On The "Edges"

My Essay On The "Edges"

My Essay On The "Edges"

My Essay On The "Edges"

My Essay On The "Edges"

My Essay On The "Edges"

8. Old discarded Christmas tree. Missed the focus though
    My Essay On The "Edges"

My Essay On The "Edges"

My Essay On The "Edges"

Some good, some not so much. C&C requested!
    Tyler

Real Name
    Mark

Re: My Essay On The "Edges"

Toooo many photos to C&C easily Tyler!

Real Name
    Tyler

OK. I thought that numbering them mitigated this problem. I'll post fewer in the future, but this was an "essay" documentation and required a sampling.

Tyler

Real Name
    2 penny for the guess..

Hi Tyler,

I hope you will not get offended, but:
    #1, #2 ... I have big problems to identify subject.....
    in #3, I must quote Mark, from his reply on one of my post.. "my eyes are running all over, must be the beer .."
    For #5, you start to feel better, and have a subject, sense of simplicity, ballance, but I really want to see those vines of leaf
    Number6, I think is the most one, but yet a missed focus there. There is a "double Y" near centre, and focus is on backside pair...wish to be on front one.
    for #7, #8, #9, I do not have a "clearly defined subject", or ballance. There is a sense of simplicity, but is not helping much.
    #10. Not all what we see and looks better, looks better in camera. You have mostly the same tonal range and this is the perfect recipe for a flat/dull image. Also, that ange is not working for me. There is one branch between leafs, where I can try a close up....

Also, I might be wrong, but all pictures seems to be out of camera... you have to post process them. Don'tbe "fool" to belive that what you see arround you is not post procesed, and are straight as is... you are misleaded.
    Because "Stops" are so important in photohraphy, you have made one, and now you should move to the next one, "working hard" to get your goals.

Thanks for posting,
    Leo

Real Name
    Tyler

No Leo... no offense taken. I am learning and we all have different visions.

The first two were to establish the locale and to emphasize line and geometry. To do it over again, I would better include the point of convergence between mountain and field in #2.

#3: I see your point.

#6 was tough and I tried a lot of perspectives as I needed to blur the otherwise busy background with wide aperture. Perhaps the shot just could not work given the circumstances.

Points taken on the final three images but remember that this was an essay and images were not intended to stand apart from one another.

I would like to explore your last comment about post-processing- could you elaborate?

Thanks!
    Tyler

Real Name
    2 penny for the guess..

Tyler,

Because english is not my native language, I might do mistakes, and really apologise if I made one.

Every (ok, maybe 95%, not to exagerate) picture that you see is post procesed. Yes, you have to take picture as much as correct "in camera", but 50% from total workflow it is done in camera. You have to go to "dark room" to see if camera manage to capture exactly your "expectations". If not, you start to tweaq that image (analog or digital), to achive that.

Sometimes a picture worth more than 1000 words, and, even in some fields of photography like journalism, corrections are made.

Please take a look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvnaPZWrt9E

James Nachtwey is one of the best, if not "the best" photo journalist in the last 20-30 years. Enhancing your image is part of "natural workflow", to achive the correct message to your viewer.

Joe McNally is famous for his lighting technique (not only for this, to be correct) and he is explaining better than me here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntoRpQCY60U) how to achieve "control of colour" using equipments (many kilos ). Most of us, we dont have, and we go to our digital darkroom to attempt to achive the same results.

Colin post in this thread (Watching A Real Good Photographer and wondering about listening....) one image from Chase Jarvis site.
    12,2% "taking pictures" but 28,4% "Editing photos and other computer task" is how photographere are spending their time.

I do want to apologise if I offend you, was not my intention, for sure.

Thanks,
    Leo