Thread: Cloud Caps

Real Name
    Chuck

Cloud Caps

The temperature this morning was 5F with a good stiff wind blowing. The wind coming from the west caused the clouds to form caps over the mountain tops. The layer of clouds below were held there by an inversion. The sun cooperated by turning the top of the scene pink. I just took the picture and about froze my fingers off.

Cloud Caps

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Cloud Caps

Uh oh...looks like the cold has arrived! Great colors there Chuck. I like it.

Real Name
    Chuck

Thank you Paul. The early morning light creates the pastel colors, beautiful but difficult to capture.

For us UK South Coast Softies, the mere hint of a snowflake is enough to make us huddle around a fire.

Plenty of good detail there, even in the far distance.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Everything that you've been posting up recently, Chuck, has been so impressive. You've really hit a golden thread of image-making. This, I think, is just a lovely, lovely landscape. A well observed scene, turned into a image that is really worth spending time with.

If I was to nit-pick, I wondered about cropping it to lose that road and fence near the bottom right.

Real Name
    Joe

Nicely done Chuck, beautiful image. I am with Geoff and chill at the sight of snow.

Real Name
    Chuck

Geoff, Donald and Joe, thank you for the feedback. Donald, I did the crop you suggested and I think it is an improvement. Thanks for the suggestion. For me this excursion into photography has been a wonderful learning experience. During this journey I came across the statement in CIC that said "photography is painting with light". I read that at just the right time to have it change much of the way I approached making photos. For those of you who look at my work you know that I do mostly landscapes and wildlife. However I did post some photos on my last Project 52 that took me far away from my comfort zone. I hope to experiment some more during the winter.

I greatly value the feedback and support from the CIC community members. It helps my photography and adds a element of fun and excitement. Thanks to all of you.

The following are the cropped version and one other photo I took the same morning. - Cheers, Chuck

Cloud Caps

Cloud Caps

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Donald is absolutely right that you're putting up some great stuff.

I prefer the first version that includes the fence. It's not that the fence is important. Instead, it's that the fence isn't a distraction and without it, there is unappealing dead space on the right side where the snow meets the edge of the frame.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Those are some awesome landscapes, Chuck. Love the way you have captured that light & scene.I find the second image more interesting as it more clearly shows the beauty of the place, (actually a river flowing besides the road, for me).
    Little snow, then barren land & a few patches of bushes and golden light on the snow capped mountain... Just fantastic.

Real Name
    Chuck

Thank you Mike and Sahil, Mike, I see what you mean. That little bit at the bottom does frame the photo. Looking at it different ways is very helpful. And Sahil, your input is valuable. I think those of us who live here mentally fill in the details you mentioned. But for others the closer look may provide more information to understand the place. - Cheers, Chuck