Thread: Advice on Nikon D3X

Real Name
    Stephen

Advice on Nikon D3X

Hello to all my distinguished friends in this Forum, I need some sound advice on whether
    I should buy the Nikon D3X camera vs the other new Nikon models that just came out recently.

I have read alot about the D3X's sharp images and its technical superiority vs other Nikon models
    and I have intention to purchase this camera even though it cost more than S$10,000 (SingaporeDollars).

My current camera is the Nikon D700 and my current two lenses are the Nikkor 24 - 70mm and
    Nikkor 28 - 300mm.

I really need some sound advice before I take the plunge. Please do not recommend me cameras
    with video recording features etc because I am only interested in photography.

Thanking one and all in advance.

Cheers,

Stephen

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Advice on Nikon D3X

Hi Stephen, how does it compare in price with the newer models? and what are you expecting from the D3x that your D700 can't do?
    Last edited by Mark von Kanel; 12th November 2012 at 04:42 PM.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Unless you really need the 24MP over the D700, I'd go for a 2nd hand D3S instead of a D3X - you'll see a noticeable difference in high ISO capability. Depends what you shoot though, really...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Stephen - I would have to agree with Mark; what features are you looking for in the D3X that your D700 does not have? Faster frame rate, higher MP count, better weatherproofing, etc? Personally, I think that the D800 and D4 are better cameras from an image quality standpoint, and here the D4 is about $2000 less than the D3x. I would have to have a really compelling reason to buy the older model, especially as it is selling at a significant premium over the newer model.

I had a look at both the D4 and D800, and ended up going with the D800 as it better suits my shooting requirements.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Stephen,
    You really want to carry the D3X with you all the time? You are a Pro? You want to do mostly studio work? You are a commercial photographer? You shoot posters? You got too much money?
    GO FOR IT if you answered yes to two of the above questions.

Real Name
    Ole Henriksen

I agree with others here: It depends on what you need.

The main thing you get in the D3X is the fast frame rate. If you don't need that I believe you'd get much better value for money with a D800 - or the D800E if you want the ultimate sharpness and detail at the small risk of moiré with some subjects.

I chose the D800 so as not to have to worry about that and find that it more than matches 5x4" film scans, and I'm happy with that. But someone suggested that because the D800/800E can take the place of much more expensive cameras (D3x or medium format), many can afford to buy them both.

PS: The D800 does video, but you can just ignore it. I do.
    Last edited by oleleclos; 15th November 2012 at 02:31 PM.

Real Name
    Scott

While I have not verified the specs of the D3x, I suspect that the new D600 will be a superior piece of equipment vs D3x in (almost?) all respects, and it certainly beats it hands down on current retail price. I believe that the release of the D800/D800e and the D600 have killed off any market for the D3x.

Further, your 28 - 300 lens is more a consumer-focused lens and any flaws in your technique are likely to shine through when using this lens. These cameras require top-quality glass to get the best out of them and the 28 - 300 simply does not fall into that category of quality glass.
    Last edited by Scottm; 15th November 2012 at 01:23 PM.

Real Name
    Ole Henriksen

Quote Originally Posted by Scottm View Post
    ...your 28 - 300 lens is more a consumer-focused lens and any flaws in your technique are likely to shine through when using this lens. These cameras require top-quality glass to get the best out of them and the 28 - 300 simply does not fall into that category of quality glass.
    Agreed, but the 24-70 does (I have it and it's incredible), and the price difference between the D600/800 and the D3X buys a lot of quality glass.

Real Name
    Stephen

A million thanks to all the distinguished members' valuable comments and advices, some thought-provoking though.
    I have decided not to purchase the D3X as its features are rather similar to the D700 with some minor differences.
    What helped me make up my mind was the thought-provoking question, quote: "What features are you looking for at the D3X that the D700 does not have" ? and quote: "what are you expecting from the D3X that your D700 can't do" ?

Guess I will spend the money on good quality lenses instead as also suggested by some of our distinguished members.

Thank you once again. I really appreciate all your valuable advices.

Cheers!