Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Golden Rod on Golden Morning

Real Name
    Kevin

Golden Rod on Golden Morning

Planned shot as far as knowin when sunrise was. Did NOT know when the sun would crest the background hill. About froze waiting for it. Was it worth it? Any creative or compositional suggestions? Please feel free to have a play with it if you are inclined- I learn a ton from other's reworks.

Real Name
    Terri

Re: Golden Rod on Golden Morning

Kevin, I think that is a gorgeous shot. I'm glad you were able to wait it out. Sorry - no suggestions but still wanted to say how much I like it.

Real Name
    Sergio

Kevin, a shot well worth the frozen bum. I like how the mist/fog covers the distant hill and trees and how it diffuses the light from the rising sun. The light illuminating the hay and foreground greenery is a nice effect. I too would give you suggestions, but I'm still in the learning stages on composition and other things photographic.

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    Planned shot as far as knowin when sunrise was. Did NOT know when the sun would crest the background hill. About froze waiting for it. Was it worth it? Any creative or compositional suggestions? Please feel free to have a play with it if you are inclined- I learn a ton from other's reworks.

Hi!Tell me what is the big dark colored object from the foreground.Thank you.

Real Name
    Kevin

Terri,
    thanks, glad you like it.
    Serge,
    Thanks much. I think you are well on your way to some real photographic excellence.
    Radu,
    The foreground object is a very large bale of hay, it's darker than one would expect from hay because it had been out in the elements for quite a while, and this shot was taken in near darkness.

Real Name
    Paul

Beutiful Image and well worth a frosty finger or two. It is many times what one must do to make such a wonderful image. Kudos to you for getting out and braving the elements.
    At first I wanted to recommend a slight rotation but at second look, it appears they farmed on a slope.

With the tall weed and then the main foreground interest {bail} you have maximized the depth of the image very well, and managed to use up the dead space in the sky. Very nicely done.

Real Name
    Kevin

thanks, Paul

In this part of the state, there is not a flat horizon for 50 miles, so I have to rely on verticals in most images to set the horizon, or in this case, I just go with my sense of equilibrium. I appreciate your kind opinion.

Kevin

Real Name
    Keith

The hay bale in the foreground keeps dragging my eye from the rest of the picture. When I first looked at it I thought it was the rear end of a sleeping animal, a bear or prehaps a wild boar. I did have a try at cloning it out and I thought it made a difference (IMHO). I really like the misty hillside and the sun around the edge of the tree.

Keith

Real Name
    Ole Henriksen

I love the light and the haze and most of the composition. Well worth a cold morning's wait.

What I find disturbs the morning tranquility of this scene are the two dark ferns (? sorry, not a plant connoisseur) on the left. Maybe it's just the dark halo around the larger one or maybe it's their very presence, not sure. But I think they dominate the scene a bit and their looming darkness takes something away from the shimmering light of the foreground ferns.

Then again, maybe that's what you wanted, in which case you've pulled it off beautifully

Real Name
    Kevin

Hi, Ole

I suspect there is a specific portion of the neocortex responsible for flower recognition and recall- an area I seem not to possess. I can distinguish grass, trees, dandelions and tulips. that's just about it.

You make an interesting point. When I composed this in the field, I was quite aware of the descending hillside on the left which was going to result in a large amount of featureless sky. So I thought I might simultaneously addd some visual depth, better frame my anchor point (the foreground hay bale), and fill some negative space.

But you've got me thinking now, so I'm going to have a play at removing those tall elements. I'm pretty sure I can do a good job on the lower portion of the plants, but achieving a satisfactory result with the subtle changes in the sky tones may be more problematic. We shall see. Thanks so much for your thoughts.

Kevin

Real Name
    Bobo

That now is a real beauty. Nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    Terri,
    thanks, glad you like it.
    Serge,
    Thanks much. I think you are well on your way to some real photographic excellence.
    Radu,
    The foreground object is a very large bale of hay, it's darker than one would expect from hay because it had been out in the elements for quite a while, and this shot was taken in near darkness.
    Yes,now I understood thanks.