Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Oh no! Another sunset...

Real Name
    Terri

Oh no! Another sunset...

Yes, I'm working on sunsets. You may get tired of seeing my back pasture - sorry.

I've been waiting for a month for some clouds to show up around here and we got a few tonight. The first shot is of the sunset. The second shot is about 45 degrees from the first one. These were both taken using manual mode, evaluative metering, underexposed about a 1/3 stop and bracketed 1/3 either side. I did not blend the bracketed exposures but in both cases chose the image that was 2/3 underexposed. (I was happy with that bracketing and don't think a lower exposure was necessary)

I've not done much sunset work so I'm interested in whether my shooting technique was sound and also what you think of the post processing. Of course, any other type comments are always welcome.

Things I learned:
    1) With sunsets, when you think it's over it may not be! I had already walked back to the house when that area in the second shot really lit up with color and no time to run back out into the pasture.

2) Look all around. There was also some interesting color happening behind me. It wasn't a nice composition in this location but perhaps could be somewhere else.

Oh no! Another sunset...

Oh no! Another sunset...

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Oh no! Another sunset...

Nice sunset are always a pleasure to photograph. Nicely done here. Especially like the tonal ranges in 2.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Terri: here is a simple rule for sunsets, when you think that it is over wait another 30 minutes. You can still work an area with the use of a tripod for al least 45 minutes after the sun has gone down, works for sun rises to (before sun rise).

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Lara

Terry...

I like sunsets too...
    and even wanted to take a picture every day for a month... in the same place... but then .... found it boring...

Now I think that maybe I will try it again...

What I have noticed ... or those were coincidences - I do not know... but the sky and light are fantastic just about one hour before the sunset for 15-20 minutes... and then... a couple of minutes after the time of sunset...

Regarding your pictures...Both are nice... but I prefer the first one...

Please share any new pictures of sunset you will see...

Real Name
    Terri

Thanks Bobo, Allan and Lara for your comments and assistance. I will keep trying and posting.

Real Name
    Keith

I like the cerise colour around the sun Terri.

Try cropping it with just a tiny bit of the back pasture under the hedge so that you have something like a panorama shot. I think it might look special.

Keith

Real Name
    Andre Burger

like it. A sunset is always interesting.